Too much smoke or what?

Brian Seifert

Hello, I'll try to be as accurate as I can, I have had 2 smokes so far. Both have been butts, on the first one I smoked a 2.5 lbs. butt, started it out just normal, using the minion, then I added a fattie and a rack of spare ribs. After about 3 or 4 hours at aproximately 225 degrees, I looked at the ribs and they were all dark and dried out on top. I didn't give it much thought, just figured hey it's my first smoke. The fattie turned out great and the butt was wonderful. The second smoke I smoked some chicken breast and another butt, after about 3 hours or so, not sure, cause the beer goggles were fogging the view of the clock. I went to check on the chicken and it was browned on top and dried out, almost blackened. I figured it would never get like that with a full pan of water and at 225 degrees. The butt turned out fine as usual. I use a dry rub for everything I smoke. How often should I check the chicken or ribs, or spray them down, I guess is the question I need answered. Maybe I am just assuming I can leave the ribs or chicken on a long time like I do with the butt. Should I cover the tops of them, I figured if I did, they wouldn't get a smoke ring. Granted, I do use a lot of wood to smoke, just never thought I might have too much smoke, I will have to be more carefull next time, just have to check it more often. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Poultry is easily oversmoked. Ribs, well I can think of a few places in Texas where the ribs have a distinctly bitter edge from too much mesquite.

Are you sure of the accuracy of your therm?

What kind of wood and how much are you using? Seasoned?

Were the ribs good? Spares or backs? Tender or...?

Back