Too Hot, Too Cool - Frustrated in AZ

KarlSmith

Noob here. Second cook in the WSM, but years of kettle and dutch oven cooking outdoors.

I tried cooking ribs last night, following the startup procedure on the VWB site for BRITU (http://virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html).

First, I started a chimney full of blue K. 15 minutes until they were ready. Emptied the chimney into the WSM, inside the charcoal ring. Then added another full chimney of blue K on top of the ashen coals and placed my smoke wood on top. Everything, so far so good.

After the wood was engulfed in flames and the rest of the charcoal had a nice white ash, I put the WSM together, using a full bowl of water (warm, hey that's all we can get here in AZ). The temp shot up to 350+. I was concerned, but let it sit with all the bottom vents closed and the top one open.

BTW, all the smoke wood was entirely consumed and no longer producing smoke.

After an hour, the temp had dropped to about 150 and I placed the ribs (4 racks) inside. For the next hour, the temp never rose about 150.

After another hour, I opened all the bottom vents 100% and let it sit for one hour. Again, the temp never rose above 150. I pulled a couple of pieces of charcoal out and they were giving off very little heat.

Frustrated, I fired up a 1/2 chimney of charcoal and added the lit briquettes to the WSM. After 30 minutes, the temp was 200.

Even more frustrated, I decided to empty the water bowl. Finally, the temp rose to about 230, but would never rise any higher. I was hoping for 250 - 275.

Poking around the VWBB, I found the following from a fellow Arizonan that was experiencing some of the same issues (but using lump). http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/7061034516

So. What am I doing wrong?

Why won't my WSM get above 200 without significant effort?

Why did the temp drop so much and then never rise again?

Or, am I battling an oxygen density issue being in AZ, as it was around 110 when I was grilling. Hot air = less density = less oxygen and thus the coals became oxygen starved when I closed all the lower vents?

While I can't speak to any AZ related cooking anomalies, I have smoked in about 100 degree temps. I also won't proclaim to be any expert on the WSM yet as I've only done about a half dozen smokes myself. What I can do is let you know what I've done differently that has worked.

Start with the two chimneys worth of charcoal as you did

Don't put the wood on until you're ready to assemble (I've never let the smoke wood get engulfed in flames)

Fill the bowl with tapwater

Here's where things might have started to get away:

Watch the thermometer like a hawk and don't "let" it shoot to 350, start closing the vents down a little at a time to see if you can keep the temps under control

Next, if the temps do get too high, don't completely shut them down and not re-adjust for an hour. Once agin, keep an eye on your temps.

Once the temps stabilize (for my WSM, almost always around 225-250), you can start to relax a little.

I think this may have just been a first timer's case of under-correcting and over-correcting.

I wouldn't let it frustrate you, there are plenty of people smoking in AZ, so I'm pretty sure you're not in the Bermuda Triangle of cooking.Just keep a closer eye on the temps until you get a few more smokes under your belt.

Hopefully this is of some help, Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveF (Alpine):
Don't put the wood on until you're ready to assemble (I've never let the smoke wood get engulfed in flames) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I will do that next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Watch the thermometer like a hawk and don't "let" it shoot to 350, start closing the vents down a little at a time to see if you can keep the temps under control

Next, if the temps do get too high, don't completely shut them down and not re-adjust for an hour. Once agin, keep an eye on your temps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, it became too hot, too fast. When I assembled the WSM, I had all the bottom vents shut. How do I otherwise bring the temp down?

Maybe I shouldn't let the chimney of unlit briquettes come to a full ash?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think this may have just been a first timer's case of under-correcting and over-correcting.

I wouldn't let it frustrate you, there are plenty of people smoking in AZ, so I'm pretty sure you're not in the Bermuda Triangle of cooking.Just keep a closer eye on the temps until you get a few more smokes under your belt.

Hopefully this is of some help, Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may feel down, but not out! Thanks for the advice Steve.

BTW, the ribs took 7+ hours and still came out good... but not great.

I am just beginning myself so take my advice with a grain of salt but I think you burnt up your charcoal and smoke wood before you ever got started. You may want to try the minion method to start your coals for a few times and see how that goes. Also, and I know this sounds crazy but trying cooking with nothing in the cooker a few times. You can really screw things up and all you lose is some charcoal. I found that to be a great way to learn how to control temps and see how much charcoal to light up and how much to put onto the grate to last for my required cook. I'm still doing this now and it's relatively cheap to build your skills and learn some valuable techniques without $20-$80 of food depending on your every move.
The minion method is here...
http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

Tom

P.S. Hang in there! Some of the best BBQ I have ever tasted came off of my smoker in the last 3 weeks. Whether it's because I'm that good or just because it was mine, well, that's a matter of opinion but let's just say Myron Mixon, Harry Soo and Johnny Trigg aren't shaking in their shoes.

Here are my thoughts and methods I use on my 18 1/2 inch WMS.

1. I NEVER put water in the water pan. From a lot of the raading I've done, and talking to people, the water in the pan is a "Nuicance" on temperature conrol and I tend to agree. I bought a 14 inch clay platter at Home Depot and I double wrapped the water pan in heavy duty aluminum foil, and then I double wrapped the clay plater,or plate, and sat it right on the top of the water pan. From all the reading I've done, there seems to be a lot more people that DO NOT use water in the pan than do.

2. I NEVER open any of my bottom vents, however, I am using a Automaic Temp conroller, being a Guru DigiQ 2 DX. I would be lost withoug a temp controller. I set it on what temp I want the pit to be and come back later and its nailed on my target temerature. I only open my top vent about 1/2 to 1/4 and using he DigiQ, it seems to work just fine.

3. I never allow my chimney to get as hot as you indicated you do. Once it's flaming up in the chimney fairly well, and I see some white on the coals, I dump them in the center of my charcoal, using he "Minion Method". I have by then already placed my hardwood around in the bottom fuel pit where I want it so it has not burned at all when I place the pit all back together. I then place my meat on the grate I'm using, which usually is the top grate. I then set back, take a swig, and watch the temp rise. I get a lot of smoke during this phase and we love a lot of smoke flavor in our meats.

My temp will rise to 250 within just a few minutes and my temp controller stops blowing once It get close to target temp and it holds it there. Once I'm finished cooking I clos the top vent and turn the temp contoller off and do some eating.

I hope this helps you in some way, form or fashion. Good luck and be patient. Every smoke normaly gives you some additional ideas, or creates what works for you and is a "learning curve".

keep us posted please.

My first experience pretty much parallels yours ayear ago. The 'BRITU' method does produce decent ribs, but it is much too tricky for the first smoke.
Next smoke, try a pork 'butt' using the same tecnique, but using the minion start referred to abve.
It is much easier to tame the beast on the way up rather than to corral it after it has run away.
Keep on smokin'. experience will get you the food you want.

Back