Today's BBQ Dilemma( long)

darrin

TVWBB Member
Good afternoon people-hope everyone's having a great Saturday.

Two questions that I am hoping you enlightened folks can help me with.

First, I started a 9lb brisket about 8:00am this morning, whick I'm hoping finishes around 7:00pm. Around 1-2:00m I plan on putting a couple racks of ribs on as well. Question is, how to I add more smoke when I put the ribs on without ruining the brisket. I'm afraid if I throw a couple more chunks on around 2:00pm for the ribs, I may overpower the brisket with the extra smoke-anyone experienced this situation or can offer any advice?

Second question is that I am continuing to have problems keeping my temp up. I started this morning with an full ring of charcoal which I then put a full lit chimney on top of( all lump charcoal) and even now after 4 hrs of running with all vents wide open; measuring the temp thru the top vent only reads 230. Okay, I know this isnt a horrible thing-but I wouldn't mind running a little higher, say 240-250 measuring from the top vent. Anybody have any ideas what I am doing wrong or how I can get the temp up another 20 degrees.

Thanks for your help!

I can address your temp issue first. What do you have in the water pan, Sand? Water? or Nothing? I rarely cook above 220-230 for Brisket or Ribs, I would suggest leaving your temp where it is. If however you do want it higher try bumping or hitting the wsm near all three vents to dislodge the ash. This technique will usually start the temp rising. Also I have opened the fron door for a few minutes to let fresh air in. As for the lump it burns too hot for me I may have burned off very quickly I would have added it unlit.
As for the time on the brisket I am thinking it wil be done more around 10 pm mine usually go 1-1.5hrs per lb at 225 degreese. Unless you plan on foiling it. Also adding the Ribs later in the cook may drop your temp so I would make sure you let your ribs get too room temp out of the fridge.

Dont worry about adding more wood either it wont hurt anything.

Good luck

I think it's best to use lit Kingsford on top of lump to get it going. That seems to work better for me. (I use Wicked Good though and that might have something to do with it).

Echoing Rick: Turn your door upside down so that the knob is on the bottom and prop it open--in your case just a little since you're not looking fo a big rise. Once more lit is established and your temp pops you can close the door.

I, too, don't think adding wood later is an issue since for ribs it's not likely you're adding a lot. If you do not want more smoke on the brisket, however, your only choice is to foil it.

Hey Guys-thanks for your quick responses!

Rick-had a look inside, lots of lump left and hardly any ash at all, did the door trick earlier and yep, rode the temp up to about 250, however surely enough it went right back down to 220-230 after closing. You're right, I like to cook around 225 as well, however I thought if I am measuring temp through the top vent, the actual grill is probably 10-15 degress lower-though I could be wrong. Good reminder about the cold ribs bringing the temp down-never would have thought of it-thanks! USing water by the way-but haven't refilled so it maybe gone now.

Jim- using a brand called Natures Own or Basque-its out of Quebec so not sure if you get it down south.

Thanks

Maybe the charcoal is moist?

You can try the door again and let the temp hit 270 before closing it if you want--see what happens.

Thanks Kruger-that's what I am going to do, just pop that door off for awhile and see what happens-at least I know that I can keep it down if I need to put the door back on. I should have mentioned, I get very little breeze where I got the WSM set up and I begining to think that maybe be a factor.

Anyhow, thanks for your great advice. I love this forum for bouncing ideas around.

Cheers

Back