To sear, or not to sear

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Has anyone seared their meat(s) prior to smoking? Just as an experiment last weekend, I threw a chuck roast on with some babybacks (I don't know about the rest of you, but if I'm gonna fire-up the ol' WSM, it's gonna be loaded - cleaning up after anything less seems like too much work...). The roast was well-marbled, so I figured it would perhaps "behave" like a butt. It turned out OK, but comparatively dry, which leads me to the question of searing before smoking. Would the searing "seal in" moisture over a long smoke? In this experiment, I larded the roast (approx. 4 lbs.) with minced garlic and worcestershire, applied a mixture of left over rubs (what else do you do with them?..) left on for about two hours, before cooking to an internal of 159* . I didn't baste the roast, as the babybacks were above the roast and provided a steady pork fat "baste." As I said, the taste was great, just dry. Lousy choice of meat? Any other clues? Thanks.

BeerBoy

I sear eye of the round in canola oil before doing a slow roast in the oven, 125 - 130 internal and it really is great but I think smoking is a different project. But you could always try it and report back.

Regards,
Steve

I have smoked a few roast, and had the same problem as you - great taste, just a little dry... Never thought about searing it...
I did a pork tenderloin last week, and the recipe called for it to be seared... I don't know if it was because I seared it or not, but it was awesome...Juicy and tender... Might try it myself on my next chuck roast...Let us know if you do it !!
Good Quen !
Gary in AR

If you have a dry rub already applied I don't
know if searing would be a good idea, especially if there is Sugar in the rub.
You could wipe off the rub after letting it sit overnight, oil... sear... then apply more rub. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it would work OK.

------------------
Couch Potato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back