To pull or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Riggs

TVWBB Member
Hi,

I am going to smoke 3 pork butts labor day weekend, probably a saturday night smoke.

One of the butts I am going to take to work the following Tuesday for lunch. I will be warmming it up in a crockpot.

My question is the one butt for work should I go ahead and pull when I do the others or should I just keep it wrapped and refridgerated?

Or does it make a difference?

Pork is much more easily pulled when hot or at least warm. Reheating a whole roast to facilitate pullling may compromise the quality. I'd do them all at once, and just pack the meat from the one you intend to take to work tightly in an air-tight container. Pulled meat will also come down to refrigerator temp faster, and, therefore, more safely than a whole roast.

Always pull immediately after smoking IMO. I tried fridging and pulling later before, and I don't recommend it.

5-6 days maybe. If I was cooking for farther out than that I'd put it in freezer bags and freeze till time of the event, thaw, and reheat/serve in crockpot. I do that a LOT.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John L:
5-6 days maybe. If I was cooking for farther out than that I'd put it in freezer bags and freeze till time of the event, thaw, and reheat/serve in crockpot. I do that a LOT. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto--a lot!

Pull it all. Foodsaver or ziplock baggie what you're taking to work. I add a little liquid, 1/4 to 1/2 cup (75% apple juice, 25% cider vinegar) to the crock pot. I also mix in about a tablespoon or so of my rub into the liquid mixture. 2 hours or so in the crock pot = great sammich material.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One of the butts I am going to take to work the following Tuesday for lunch. I will be warmming it up in a crockpot.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, that's cruel!
icon_confused.gif
Your co-workers are going to think they can also make great BBQ in a crockpot!
icon_biggrin.gif
LOL

:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One of the butts I am going to take to work the following Tuesday for lunch. I will be warmming it up in a crockpot.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> by all means PULL IT.
I did it last week with a chuck roll for my coworkers. It was just great. No problems. Bryan

While we are on the topic of holding PP in a crock....do you leave it on low the whole time or just heat the pot and then turn it off ? Do you preheat the meat prior? How long will it take to reheat in the crockpot if that is how you are doing it ? Add apple juice to it so it doesn't dry at all ?(The cover may be off more than on, which will lose moisture).

Thanks.

Jeff

I too am doing this next week and am curious.

Jeff, Here's what i did. Turned crock pot on low added the chuck and some liquid. Once it got hot i turned it off. Also heated up the Head Country BBQ Sauce seperate and let them drizzle it on their sammies. I was a big hit. Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back