To much smoke

SCOTT DOWNS

OK I smoked some ribs for about 5 hours on Sunday. I used the Minion method and used 2 hand sized apple chunks. The problem is the ribs were to smokey. I put the wood in at the start and buried it in the coals. Should I hold off and add it at the end? Also should you crank the heat up in the last hour or so?

Scott--

Just use less wood--50%-75% less than you did--but use it in the same way. That'll give you the best idea of a smoke level and you can add more or decrease more on the subsequent cook if needed.

Raising the temp at the end is a personal preference and is based on desired finish characteristics and/or whether you glaze or sauce. I cook ribs at a higher temp start to finish and never sauce. Others like to cook them more slowly and raise the heat at the end to add texture to the meat or to set sauce.

wow. 2 chunks of apple isn't very much. I guess folks preferences are different. I use 3 fist sized chunks of hickory for my ribs.

What kind of charcoal were you using?

I'm not sure about the "hand size" chunks.

Smaller than fist size is about average for me.

I'm guessing maybe the combination of charcoal and large wood chunks overpowered the cook.

Like Kevin says, reduce the amount of wood (make sure it's been seasoned), and it could be the charcoal.

Might think about switching to lump if it's still too strong..

Did you put the ribs on right away while going up to temps? Using Kingsford? If I have to use Kingsford for ribs, I wait until the temps are where I want them, and let it burn to a "cleaner" smoke. I can get away with putting pork or brisket on early, but not ribs.
If this is how you did it, next time try to wait for 20 minutes after the temps are where you want them, then toss the ribs on. This will cut back on some of that smoke flavor IMO.

I think that might be the problem. IM going to wait for the temps to drop. IM also going to cut back on the wood. I think this apple I have is very strong so IM going to use very little.

I think you probably would be better off if you used the BRITU cooking meathod for your ribs instead of the Minion. It takes allot longer to prep the WSM but the smoke is much more suttle and makes for a greak tasting rack.

It generally calls for 2 fully lit chimneys and letting all the wood char (I use 3 Oak chunks adn 2 Apple) and then assemble the cooker and close all the bottom vents. WSM will shoot up to 350, but over the next hour will drop to abotu 275. This is when I add the ribs which brings the temps down to 225 - 250 quickly.

This meathod produces a much cleaner burn and a more quality smoke flavor.

Here is the link to the recipe. I use this meathod with all my rubs with great results.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

What did the smoke look like? Was it a thin blue smoke or a thick white smoke? You want a thin blue smoke, leave the thick white stuff for the steam engine in a western movie.

~Konrad

2 chunks of wood is less than I use. Did you have the top vent open or closed? You should be cooking with it open. If it was closed, maybe the smoke got too concentrated and stale. But 2 chunks should not be too smokey.

The top vent was always open. I think I put the ribs in too soon. The smoke was also white. How am I supposed to acheive blue smoke?

It will be a clearer smoke than when you first fire up the WSM, and have just a slight blue hue to it. Another option may be to pre burn your smoke wood in your chimney starter to get it ashed over, then put it in. Some really good BBQ joints do that from what I have seen on TV. That seems like a real pain to me, so I would just let the WSM get to temps, then give her 20 minutes before you toss them on.
Another thing you may want to try, Lump charcoal. Be careful, lump can get away from you REALLY FAST and the temps can shoot up. Would learn to use it on Butts first because the can take the abuse while you learn.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back