To inject or to not inject

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
Just curious how many people inject a marinade into their pork butts and for those that do, does it make it a better tasting product? I am thinking about trying an injection out this weekend.

We tried injecting our first butt and with our second butt all we did was rub it down with a similar seasoning to what the injection had. The flavor was better with the one that was rubbed rather than the one that was injected. There was definitely a difference, but if you really want to inject the butt I would recommend rubbing it in addition. IMHO, I don't think injecting alone makes a big impact on the flavor.
Of course, we could have just under-injected it or not gotten the needle all the way into the middle or in the right spots.

The solution that you use makes all the difference in the world too! I have had lots of failures injecting but if you can find the right one, it works great if you want to get flavors into the meat.

Never inject butts, just use a good rub. With the fat content, there's plenty of moisture and I rely on the meat and rub for flavor.

Call me a belt and suspenders guy, but I like an injected AND rubbed butt in the smoker. (Especially when doing it cuban style. For cuban style, I'll brine it and inject it. It's like heaven on a plate when you're done).

Come on guys, live a little. Rub isnt THE ONLY way you can cook pork. I should know, I have tried things you wouldnt believe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Look up Chris Lilly or Myron Mixon and that will get you started in the right direction. My recipe is a secret, sorry. Im cooking eight butts right now, none of it is injected. Its just for eating, but at comps, I inject.

One further note.I've found that injecting and using rub is fine if you don't add anymore rub or sauce when you pull the pork. If I inject I don't add anymore rub or sauce when pulling. I let the pork stand by itself. If I don't inject than I add more rub and the good old no. 5 sauce. When I Injected and added more sauce and rub at the end you couldn't taste what was injected at the beginning all I could taste was the rub and sauce at the end

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
One further note.I've found that injecting and using rub is fine if you don't add anymore rub or sauce when you pull the pork. If I inject I don't add anymore rub or sauce when pulling. I let the pork stand by itself. If I don't inject than I add more rub and the good old no. 5 sauce. When I Injected and added more sauce and rub at the end you couldn't taste what was injected at the beginning all I could taste was the rub and sauce at the end </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Interesting point. I wonder if that had anything to do with my injection experience.

And Dale, I'm not sure that I want to hear about what you've done with pork
icon_eek.gif

There are two platforms here (IMHO). One is the competition level or platform and the other is just good olé' home cook'n. With ribs or shoulders there are things you might do for competition that you wouldn't necessarily bother doing for good ole' home smoking or BBQ'ing.

Example with Ribs - in competition you trim off the loin chunk of meat on the rib for consistency purposes. I would never do that for home cooking, it is a wonderful part of the meat.

Example with shoulders (butts, picnic or shoulder) - Injecting with what ever recipe you want. It's a lot of hassle, cost and time for a home shoulder. You can make a wonderful juicy, tasting, smoked, pull-able butt, picnic or shoulder with out injecting.

Now, with all that said; let's discuss some reasoning behind using an injection in the first place. The acidic traits of apple juice, etc, vinegar, certain types of wine assist in breaking down the collagen in the shoulder; introduce moisture to the meat, and add flavor.

The best injections from my experience have been the simple ones that use a single primary vehicle (the juice, wine, etc) for transporting the seasoning and breaking down the collagen, one or two sweetening ingredients such as molasses, corn syrup, maple syrup, etc and your favorite dry rub (usually strained before injection).

These are opinions obviously. Experiment (that's 90% of the fun, right?) with different things that seem to strike your fancy. Don't just learn that a lot of competitors use apple juice and or apple cider as a base for injection, but why? Create to your taste buds and enjoy! Good luck!!

Back