To Inject or not to Inject a Butt...can you tell the difference?

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I'm doing 2 butts tonight for a family get together tomorrow. I'm considering injecting one of them. I've never injected a butt before, although I have injected a few fried turkeys.

I'm wondering if you can taste the difference, and if you think it's worth it?

-Phil

Yes, you can tell the difference. Though injected butts win at comps on a fairly regular basis (from what I can tell), it is because of the difference that I do not inject them. The injection's flavors cook so long they get muddy. The sweeteners often in injections coupled with the sweet in the rub makes it worse.

Though the rub cooks along with the meat it (the rub) can be designed to add the sought-after flavor notes and textural components one desires for the meat when finished. I prefer to then sprinkle on one type of sauce when pulling to enhance these various flavor notes, and serve another sauce on the side which can be used if desired. I'm looking for subtle flavor layers with complementary and contrasting flavors. An injection for a butt is overkill, imo, and makes what I seek more difficult to create--it gets in the way. (I do not care for heavily sugared paprika-based rubs which also has something to do with it.) Others who have a different take or process would likely disagree. Try it yourself and see what you think.

I've experimented a little and found that sweet & hot seem to go together. Wouldn't injectiong with something sweet like straight apple juice and using a hot rub compliment each other?

It seems to work well on ribs. No I don't inject ribs. My wife dosen't like hot so I make the ribs with a sweet rub and use a hotter sauce for dipping.

Personally, I usually don't use a red BBQ sauce. I like a vinegar or mustard sauce on my pulled pork.

Kevin, that is an interesting take on injecting. My new injector is still in the package. Perhaps adding moisture to a turkey has some merit...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Kevin, that is an interesting take on injecting. My new injector is still in the package. Perhaps adding moisture to a turkey has some merit... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried brining a turkey on the smoker? OR are thinking of injecting for the fryer?

Steve/Steve--

Adding moisture and flavor to turkey that's going to be fried definitely has merit, imo. When I fry I'm not rubbing so I inject for both reasons. When I smoke turkey I brine. If I want the rub to be more substantial I use a straight or mildly flavored brine. Often I use a more potent brine and a light rub (or no rub).

The dynamics of the change in turkey meat during cooking is different from that of pork butt. Butt doesn't need the moisture or fat addition of an injection--my opinion on the flavor addition I noted above. I am of a similar mind with brisket except that brisket can often use the moisture/fat addition (especially many of the ones I buy). For a brisket injection I'm more inclined to one of fat plus beef jus or stock (with its subtler flavors), with minor additions of some of the rub flavors (which works, imo, because brisket is sliced and not pulled). I still want the rub/bark to do its thing and my focus, like with butt, is more on that. For pork I'm going to slice--particularly fresh ham or loin--I'll flavor-brine or inject and base the rub on what I expect the result to be once cooked. But I'm looking for a different sort of result in this case, I cook at a much higher temp, and the rubs I make are thus quite different than what I make for 'typical' low/slow barbecued pulled pork.

I prefer to brine poultry-an injection would work if pushed for time. My briskets that are not foiled might benefit from a little injection too.

Ditto for me. On the rare occasion I fry a turkey I inject since it's always a last minute thing. Other than that I brine. Same for fresh hams/loins, etc. I almost always brine--often for a couple days--only if pressed do I inject.

I inject butts a lot. (Picnics).
I only inject though, if they are not enhanced. (Already injected with the "up to" 10% solution)
I think it helps keep them moist, adds a little flavor. I have noticed that if I over inject, the meat was "mushy" inside towards the bone. Maybe a fluke, but that's what I noticed.
I even tried pineapple the last time, didn't care for that result, but it taste great on ribs while basting!

I inject about 50% of the time. I think it will be the thing to do once I find the right sauce.
When I deep fry turkeys, I use Paula Deens house seasoning which has only salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Gives the skin a good flavor.

I inject competition butts, but I'm happy enough to leave them alone when I cook for myself or friends/family. Its been my experience that injected butts do stay a little moister longer. They can get salty too. Had a butt go to mush on me this weekend that was injected, but I can't attribute it to just the injection (kinda forgot about it in the cooker as well).

Since I first tried Chris Lilly's very simple pork injection recipe, DH Robert insists that all butts we do be injected. Pork is one of his less favorite meats, but he tells folks that I converted him when I started using that recipe along with a another "butt juice" concoction that goes on after I pull it.

I'm with the majority - I prefer to brine poultry and the leaner pork cuts. Use caution with the apple juice brine if you're going to fry the turkey, though - the sugar content PLUS the apple juice can cause the turkey to burn more easily. I have pictures of a few meteorites with drumsticks to back up that caveat.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time (Hot Wire BBQ)

Do a Google search for Emerils (don't laugh) turkey injection recipe. I "tweaked" that original recipe and have used it several times and have had several people from Louisiana tell me that was the best fried turkey they ever had.

I have never tried it on a "baked" turkey, but think I will put that on my soon to do list.

Back