To Brine or Not to Brine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Lynch

TVWBB Member
Plan on smoking my first turkey breast this weekend. I noticed (in fine print) the words "up to 15% solution added" on the label of my bird. I was looking forward to brining for the first time. Should I pass?

I did a turkey a couple of weeks ago. It was a "self basted" turkey which means it was pre-injected with salt solution.

I skipped the brining and it turned out great.

A few days later, my wife got out some boneless skinless chicken breasts. I brined them and smoked them and they came out very salty. I dug through the trash for the original packaging, and sure enough, 12% sodium solution.

Moral: don't brine if it's already been injected with sodium at packaging time.

Wow! 15% is the highest I've heard, too. You can still add your own flavorings to it, though. Run your fingers between the skin and meat and sprinkle some of your rub in there. Or try some aromatics-- quartering a small onion, and likewise an apple, along with some sprigs of fresh rosemary and a cinnamon stick, and placing them loosely in the cavity during the cook will add some nice flavors.

Clay when you brined those chicken breasts did you rinse them off after you took them out of the brine. I always brine my whole turkey breast's before I smoke them. But I noticed the first couple times I've ever done this It tasted similiar to ham. Then after that I started rinsing inside and out really good with cold water once I removed them from the brine. The ham taste was not there then.
Then again I don't think the turkeys breasts I get are enhanced. But then again I've never really looked. I will next time.

I was in Wal-Mart this past Fri looking for butts, the only thing they had was "up to 20% solution added". I couldn't believe it and decided to smoked a brisket instead... Glad I did it turned out great... 20% is a lot of water..

Cheers !!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Harvey:
[qb] I was in Wal-Mart this past Fri looking for butts, the only thing they had was "up to 20% solution added". I couldn't believe it and decided to smoked a brisket instead... Glad I did it turned out great... 20% is a lot of water..

Cheers !!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think it means that 20% water has been added. I believe it means that it was basted in a solution that contaned 20% salt solution (20% salt\80% water).
I could be wrong, But that's what I always got out of reading the fine print.

Most stuff around here says up to 10% salt solution from what I've seen. Both pork shoulders I've done were enhanced and they turned out fine. But the rub I use does not have much salt in it. So it does not taste hammy at all.

Everything I've seen at my local Super Wal-Mart is enhanced. On the other hand, I haven't seen anything enhanced at my local Sam's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred S:
[qb] Everything I've seen at my local Super Wal-Mart is enhanced. On the other hand, I haven't seen anything enhanced at my local Sam's. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah, every grocery store around me is all enhanced pork. I never checked the poultry though. I will next time I go.

I have noticed alot of the poultry at Walmart is just as 'enhanced.' Most all the Tyson was that way. I just hate paying meat prices for water.

Good news- no enhancement of the pork ribs! Hard to inject ribs.

Pork Eat World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back