Tips/ tricks needed for first time prime Rib cook

Drew

TVWBB Member
So I’m grilling/smoking my first prime rib (6lbs) this weekend to celebrate some friends milestones. I have a Silver C. I was going to indirect grill it at 350 degrees with a smoker tube full of hickory pellets. Looking for medium rare so was thinking of pulling it at 125 or do ya’ll have other suggestions on how to grill it?

Can't add any cooking tips other than keep in mind if it is climbing in temp quickly --- you can turn the gas off and let it eat smoke for a while without heat - and then turn the burners back on to finish. I do this all the time with meatloafs on the gasser with a tube.

Good luck!

Depending on it's size or if it's bone in or not you can spin it (unless you don't have the rotisserie). Honestly too, I love those roasts when they're cooked low, until about 130 to 140, then rested a good long time wrapped (I've discovered butcher paper), then stuck in a cooler for a while let it rest then "grill" it off just prior to carving to get a crust on it. Look at my photos from my Easter Prime Rib cook.

My experience is that a larger prime rib is actually easier to cook because the temperature doesn't change as fast.
Only have 4 people coming over so didn’t see a need for getting one bigger than 6lbs with how expensive they are

Future reference, get bone in. Cook bone down and they act like a buffer so you don’t end up with a dry over cooked side. My experience. Season it decently, that’s part of the magic of a prime is that crust of seasoning. Man, that’s some good eating!

I tend to cook closer to 250 but that’s also charcoal, I’m generally of the opinion the longer and more gradual the cook the juicier and more tender the cut is.

I always pull about 130-135

My suggestions are in light of boneless on the 3 burner silver.

I would put it on a rack, in a roasting pan or a quarter sheet pan. Season the roast heavy with salt and pepper.

Remove one grate and center it so there is room to place a smoke tube on the right side direct on the Flav bars.

Preheat the grill all burners on high for 15 mins or 450 500F lid temp. After preheat set burners, Low off off front to back.

Put the roast in, in the rack and move it to the back. Add a lit smoke tube.

After 30 mins turn the sheet 180 degrees to even the cook. The front and the left side are likely a bit hotter.

Cook until 125F internal. Pull, cover with foil while the grill preheats, crank all burners on high, add the other grate. Heat to 400++ sear direct, 60 to 120 seconds a side.

Two or three or four flips per side.

Pull, rest, carve, enjoy

Last edited:
Sounds like solid advice.

But I'd like to ask a question..... Why the front burner?
I can see the premise that the heat will 'flow' over the meat towards the back as all would think.... my neighbor was doing this with his 'B' with a smoke tube also. I had suggested he run the BACK burner instead based on my intuition thinking that the heat would go straight up the back of the lid and swirl towards the front.... mixing the smoke and heat in the box before being exhausted. He said that it makes a world of difference and thats the only way he'll do it now --- he's actually going to try a brisket on a B with a smoke tube..... I have a B also, but end up using my spirit 2 burner F/B 99% so I haven't proved it myself yet --- coming soon for a couple of porkchops that are too big for the 2 burner.

Not faulting your advice in any way --- just curious on reasoning and if you have tried it with the back burner.

Sounds like solid advice.

But I'd like to ask a question..... Why the front burner?
I can see the premise that the heat will 'flow' over the meat towards the back as all would think.... my neighbor was doing this with his 'B' with a smoke tube also. I had suggested he run the BACK burner instead based on my intuition thinking that the heat would go straight up the back of the lid and swirl towards the front.... mixing the smoke and heat in the box before being exhausted. He said that it makes a world of difference and thats the only way he'll do it now --- he's actually going to try a brisket on a B with a smoke tube..... I have a B also, but end up using my spirit 2 burner F/B 99% so I haven't proved it myself yet --- coming soon for a couple of porkchops that are too big for the 2 burner.

Not faulting your advice in any way --- just curious on reasoning and if you have tried it with the back burner.
Owned Genesis for MANY years. Back burner only does not work as well as front. In re to circulation. Been there/done that. Ideally run front and back however with 2 burners even on low you cannot get temps low enough. Which is why I suggested the rotisserie and one burner only.

Owned Genesis for MANY years. Back burner only does not work as well as front. In re to circulation. Been there/done that. Ideally run front and back however with 2 burners even on low you cannot get temps low enough. Which is why I suggested the rotisserie and one burner only.
I will be cooking some bourbon bacon beans on the grill as well as well as some asparagus so the rotisserie is out of the question as I only have one grill

I will be cooking some bourbon bacon beans on the grill as well as well as some asparagus so the rotisserie is out of the question as I only have one grill
You can use one grate. Do the roast on the right side away from the XOver burner. Use the single grate over to the left. Do your gus and everything over on the left. I've done that many times

So I’m grilling/smoking my first prime rib (6lbs) this weekend to celebrate some friends milestones. I have a Silver C. I was going to indirect grill it at 350 degrees with a smoker tube full of hickory pellets. Looking for medium rare so was thinking of pulling it at 125 or do ya’ll have other suggestions on how to grill it?
I agree on the indirect heat and also on the 350 degree temp. I have cooked a lot of prime ribs on the WSM following to some degree the herb crusted procedure here. I am obsessive about the done temp when doing so. I have a bunch of thermometers, so anything will work but I would recommend obsessiveness about it with this cut, as you don't want it going over. I smoke it pretty lightly, if at all.

It is a highly satisfying cut, really easy to do as the path to doneness is basically a straight shot, not like one of those overnight cooks with meandering temps.

Back