Timing question: ribs and butt

I'm cooking for a larger group for next weekend and want to do ribs and butt to serve around 4:00. I was planning on starting the butts (assuming about 7-8 lbs for the butts) around 8:00 PM planning to have them go about 18 hours so they would come off around 2:00 the next afternoon, but have some wiggle room if they need a little more time. Then planning on ribs going on around 10:30 AM and going 3-1-1.

Does this sound reasonable? Which rack should each go on. Butts on top and ribs on the bottom. Or can I move the butts to the bottom when I'm ready to put the ribs on, so they can go on top?

Thanks,
Bill

Quite reasonable.

Yes, move the butts lower when you add the ribs. I'm assuming back ribs, right--not spares? Remember to test for doneness, don't go solely by time.

And have fun with it.

Your plan sounds reasonable to me. If you're using water in the pan, why not consider starting the butts on the bottom rack. The only action I give butts during the cook are quick sprays with AJ and that could easily be done on the lower rack. This would make it easier to add the ribs and less temp flucuation with the lid off. The new meat will take up some heat so you might need to add fuel prior to or when you add the ribs.

Paul

A second second. It sounds like a good plan. I think I would start the butts on the top rack. I usually flip the butts after 10 or 11 hrs - so When I would flip, I would move to the lower rack.

Or you can do what I did...buy another WSM. Now I can do butts on one and lots of ribs on the other....lol.

Your plan sounds good. For some reason I always like my ribs that cook on the top grate better than the ones on the bottom....I do not foil anymore.

Back