Timing Question - Brisket & Butt overnighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
I am hosting a meeting at work on Tuesday and have decided to provide lunch. Q.... what else?

Long story short, I can take the meat off and hold it in a cooler until noon. My questions are:
- when do I start the cook?
- do I start the brisket and butt at the same time?

As a former consultant, I know the standard answer - "it depends". I'm just looking for some guidelines.

Butt - 11.3 lbs (I was thinking about cutting it in half - love that bark!)

Brisket(flat) - 4.1 lbs (not much to choose from)

I'm off all Monday afternoon and evening. Oh, I forgot I've got to have some sleep in here too. I've got a Maverick ET-73.

Your advice and wisdom appreciated.

The best idea might be to cook them both ahead of time and reheat before you serve. If you can't do that, figure 1-2 hours per pound for both meats. Using that as a guideline, you'll obviously want to start the brisket sometime after you start the butt.

The problem is this "sleep" thing you referenced. In order to time the brisket so you can take it off in the morning before you're meeting, you'd have to start it around midnight. If you're anything like me, you'll be worrying about that thing so much you'll be up every 2-3 hours making sure everything's okay. As for the butt, since I'd probably figure on not getting much sleep anyway, I'd start that sometime in the early afternoon Monday and plan to take if off the next morning.

Good luck,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back