Timing for a gourmet slider party.

Andre A

TVWBB Member
I want to do a gourmet burger party. By this I mean use 80/20 ground beef with some bone marrow that I would get from my butcher. Never had this before, but the reports states the taste is unreal. If anyone has tried it I would love some feedback. While I wouldn't mind making my own buns for this party, I probably would be best served buying them. Any suggestions as the best slider buns.

Anyways my goal would be to have to prepare 3 sliders per adult around 5 with. Each slider would be different ofcourse, but the goal would be to have them all ready to serve at the same time. In addition to the sliders, I would like to serve parmasean garlic fries and wine.

My goal for this post would be to get tips and pointers especially when it comes to timing and grill management to get this done right. For example, one problem I always run into when I make burgers, is toasting the bun. normally once I remove the meat and try to warm the buns, by the time the buns are done, the burger while not cold, the melted cheese does have that used look to it. Also, I always use a two zone fire so I sometimes find myself with not enough hot space for all my burgers and buns.

I have access to my weber performer and a WSM 22.

Lastly, not sure if anyone has tried to do burgers and fries at the same time, but I would be curious as to what advice can you give me to ensure that the burgers and fries are completed at the same or close enough time together to have a great meal.

1) Best Slider Bun, IMO either Martin's Potato Roll, Kings Hawaiian or a good quality brioche bun.
2) You didn't say how many guests and I didn't understand "around 5 with.", but, you have a lot going on there to finish at the same time. Let's assume you'll be 8 people. You want to serve 3 sliders to each, that's 24 burgers (which cook quickly), that'll require 24 pieces of cheese added and 48 pieces of rolls to toast ALL THE WHILE you're trying to fry potatoes to be topped with seasoning and have all of this come together at the same time.
3) IMO, and I'm not being a wiseass, you need a second (or third) set of hands. Enlist your guests to participate. You grill the burgers and top with cheese on your WSM by removing the middle section and placing the grate over the coals. Have another person man the performer and toast the buns to lay out for the burgers, and put a third person in charge of the fries.

Alternately, if you're flying solo (or if I was doing this) and you have a "Fry-o-later",
1) toast the buns first,
2) you could drop the fries into the fryer just as you add the meat to the grill,
3) flip the burgers and top with the cheese,
4) lay out the bun bottoms on a tray neatly in straight rows (work neat)
5) Check the fries, if done, transfer to paper towels,
6) remove the burgers and top the bun bottoms,
7) lean the bun tops on the side of the sliders and tell your guests to "come and get it", let them do their own garnish.

Good luck.

I just watched a lady cooked 10 at a time at a little burger joint

She started with a 1 ½ -2’’ round ball she placed them two wide five deep on a griddle, then smashed them flat she then covered them with onions and lets the first side cook.

Then she took a long spatula and flipped two at a time to the onion side, then she split the buns and put the bottom bun down on the patties and the top bun on top.

When they were done on the onion side she grabbed the top bun off and scooped them up flipper them over and put the top bun on, she put cheese on the second side for the ones that wanted cheese.

When she did the first flip she moved over, on the griddle and started another ten in the first spot, she had a whole tray of meat balls on a platter in a cooler right by the griddle.

I hoped I explained this so you understand because, she made it look so easy I have thought about doing sliders at our next get together.

They buns were small white split dinner rolls, good luck

I just watched a lady cooked 10 at a time at a little burger joint

She started with a 1 ½ -2’’ round ball she placed them two wide five deep on a griddle, then smashed them flat she then covered them with onions and lets the first side cook.

Then she took a long spatula and flipped two at a time to the onion side, then she split the buns and put the bottom bun down on the patties and the top bun on top.

When they were done on the onion side she grabbed the top bun off and scooped them up flipper them over and put the top bun on, she put cheese on the second side for the ones that wanted cheese.

When she did the first flip she moved over, on the griddle and started another ten in the first spot, she had a whole tray of meat balls on a platter in a cooler right by the griddle.

I hoped I explained this so you understand because, she made it look so easy I have thought about doing sliders at our next get together.

They buns were small white split dinner rolls, good luck

Reminds me of watching the "cooks" at White Castle, that's exactly how they do theirs.

Back