timing and early meat prep

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm doing two butts for supper on Sat. so I have a couple of questions. First, can you ever prep too early. I was going to that tonight beacuse I'm not going to have much time tomorrow.
Second, I'm figuring 7-10hrs cook time. I've gotton advice on this forum to let them sit for a couple of hours before eating. So should I start about 4-5 am for a 5pm supper or start 11pm or so and just hold them until time to eat? thanks for your help.
Eric

You mean rub too early? The longer contact with the rub the better it would seem, to my mind.

As far as time from removal until dinner time-- I would rest them 30 minutes and then pull. If you need more time, wrap in foil and towels and hold in an ice chest until time to pull and serve.

I think you're cutting your time a bit short at 7 - 10 hours, personally. As I told someone in a post a few minutes ago, when I put a butt on the cooker around 8:30 at night, we're usually eating by around noon the next day. (On the WSM, I mean... we haven't done a butt or brisket on the offset since we got the WSM.) You can't rush butts. If you're aiming for pulling temps of 190 or above, I don't think you'll make it in 7 hours. 10 maybe, if they're small. Mine are usually 8 lb or so, and I try to allow 15 or 16 hours from putting the meat on the cooker until chow time (at 225 - 230). Butts have a mind of their own. When they decide they're ready to fall in on themselves, they're done. I think I'd start them around 11pm, myself, and pack them away to rest for a bit if they're done early. Better that than stressing with butts that aren't where you want them at dinner time.

Remembering that I'm not the pro that many of these guys (and gals) are, this is just what works for me.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

I gotta agree, it's better to be done early than late. I've found that recipies like Smoke and Spice WAY underestimate the cook time. Other than that the books great. But anyway, give yourself about 2-2.5 hours per pound if you're doin' pork shoulders. It will give you a little leeway if the temp falls off a bit.

As for prep, I'd say pull it as soon as it's cool enough to touch, so that half hour sounds good. Wishin' you luck, have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back