Time to say later to an old friend and HELLO to a new one

Matt I

TVWBB Member
Well after 7 years time for a new grill. Now just to decide on the new one. Charcoal or gas? I am leaning to a One Touch or Gas, it's been years since I have used charcoal for grilling. But as good as my WSM is I think it it time for a return.

I want quality last grill was not a Weber, huge mistake I will notable again.

Your choice needs to be based on what you want and an honest decision of if you have the time to go with charcoal. I have a performer and it is a wonderful charcoal grill. I use it year round, even if it means shoveling the snow away. I also have a Genesis gasser and also love it. Each has their strengths.

Either way, go with a weber and you will be happy.

Mike

Well after 7 years time for a new grill. Now just to decide on the new one. Charcoal or gas? I am leaning to a One Touch or Gas, it's been years since I have used charcoal for grilling. But as good as my WSM is I think it it time for a return.

I want quality last grill was not a Weber, huge mistake I will notable again.

I gave my Weber gaser away and replaced it last year with a OTP. Here is what i learned. I can heat up my OT faster using a chimney than I could using my gas grill. I have far more flexibility with my OT than I did with my old gaser. Smoking is easier for short time cooks and small portions and the grill get hotter for those other times.

My suggestion is go a One Touch with a trip to Sam's for a double 20# package of Kingsford for 17.95. And, don't forget to pick up some wood chips of your favorite flavor.

I will cook anything that had a pulse at one time. Would like to try a pizza. Thinking of the OTG. Then hey if I want a gas grill later I will add to the collection.

I have a OTG and really like it. But now I'm scouring Craigslist looking for a Performer score. The side table is high on my priority list!

I have four grills, wsm, q, Genesis, and a OTP. I opted for the OTP as it has two side table's and the lid flips backward as opposed to the performer which goes sideways. I just did not like hiding part of the grill when I wanted hot grill from 100% of the grate surface. But that's just me. Both are great. I use my gas grill side burner to start my charcoal chimney, so it is not much different than the gas. I find the gas grill is a royal pain to clean 1-2 times a year as the charcoal is just a dump of ash, but so easy with the ash removal system.

I just like my food cooked over a fire, and charcoal is the better fire to me. I went through this same process just within the last couple of months. The OPT is discontinued but there are still plenty around, usually on sale from the $300 retail price..........................d

platinum016_zpsa7740a86.jpg

platinum015_zps70b3b86c.jpg

Last edited:
I gave my Weber gaser away and replaced it last year with a OTP. Here is what i learned. I can heat up my OT faster using a chimney than I could using my gas grill. I have far more flexibility with my OT than I did with my old gaser. Smoking is easier for short time cooks and small portions and the grill get hotter for those other times.

That doenst' sound right. What was your old Weber? How long does it take your chimney to be ready?
It takes me a good 15 mintues for a chimney of charcaol to ash over. My Genesis EP330 will be at 700 in less than 10 minutes.

That doenst' sound right. What was your old Weber? How long does it take your chimney to be ready?
It takes me a good 15 mintues for a chimney of charcaol to ash over. My Genesis EP330 will be at 700 in less than 10 minutes.

I had one of the old Genesis Silver, no side burner just basic. It would take 10-15 minutes to get to grilling temperatures.

I will admit the speed of heating coals in my chimney is a function of how careful I am with loading it and putting paper in. But, the best I did was nine minutes and the longest was 20. I have gotten smarter with practice so I can be ready in 10-12 minutes. One trick I picked up on from some reading is to use some salad oil on the paper I use to light off the charcoal. That make things far more reliable.

I admit the gaser was less messy. However, I don't regret the trade. I can do more with my OTP than I could with my old gas grill.

I have switched back to charcoal. The start up time difference especially with charcoal is negligible. Don't think I will ever buy another gas bbq. The kettle, in whatever model you choose is way more versatile. Personally I like the OTP for the same reasons David pointed out.

If you're only looking to do this once, I can't suggest the Performer with gas assist more.
I let the gas run for about 3 minutes to make sure the lump is lit and I'm ready to grill in 10-15 minutes.

I have a OTG and a gasser. The gasser never gets used unless I have a large crowd which has been less than a handful of times. I like the flavor of charcoal cooked meat a lot better than gas cooked. I grew up with gas cooked meat. Then I went to college and a buddy of mine cooked me a steak on his charcoal grill and I was sold. I've preferred charcoal ever since and I can tell if something has been cooked on gas now. I say go with a OTP or a performer like every has mentioned above. I still need to build a table for my OTG as it gets frustrating at times trying to transfer meat on and off.

Marcus Harrell;
When I decided to go charcoal, I picked the OTG. Upon reflection, I would have DEFINITELY picked the Performer for the table if I were buying again. You get some extra accessories with the Performer, so the price difference becomes negligible. Weber does make a nice table for the OTG - since I already had the OTG, I opted for the accessory table.

So-o-o, if you are buying new get a Performer. If you already have a OTG, get the table - it works just fine. I find trying to grill without the auxillary table frustrating...

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?36812-Weber-side-table

FWIW
Dale53

Since I got A OTG last June I think my gasser has been used 2 or 3 times at most. Charcoal is a little messier and a little more work, but the results are worth it. I get the chimney going and go inside and do my prep work. When the prep works done the coals are ready to go. Once you are cooking I think the charcoal requires less effort and babysitting than the gasser does. My Genesis is 13 years old and works well. I'll keep it around as long as replacement parts are available - which will probably be for quite some time knowing Weber. When it is finally time to get rid of it I don't know if I will buy another gasser or not. I'd may replace it with a performer or maybe a 26" kettle for those times when the 22" is too small.

Picked up the Performer Platnum today at Blackhawk Hardware in Charlotte. They had a huge selection of Weber products. I was informed they receiver a truckload beginning if the week. Assembly was as easy as the WSM actually it was easier because of wrangling the heat shield on the WSM. Can't wait for tomorrow. Smokin some ribs and grillin some Chicken.

I do need to say if you live in or around the Charlotte area checkout Blackhawk Hardware. You can not walk five feet without an employee saying hi. If you need something for grilling or smoking and they don't have it, I don't think I need it. Some of their items are priced a little higher than Lowes or Home Depot but I have no problem paying due to the customer service they provide. Another good one is Waxhaw Hardware great people just a little smaller they are both locally owned.

Last edited:
If you're only looking to do this once, I can't suggest the Performer with gas assist more.
I let the gas run for about 3 minutes to make sure the lump is lit and I'm ready to grill in 10-15 minutes.

Yeah, this. You get the ease of propane for lighting, but the flexibility of charcoal for cooking. And the built-in table and charcoal storage makes things super simple.

Mine has my welding gloves on top, the chimney, charcoal baskets, and Smokenator 1000 underneath, and tools hanging on the little hooks. Grilling is as easy as just rolling the thing out away from the house, grabbing some charcoal and arranging it how I want (either piled up or in the baskets), then turning on the gas and hitting the starter just like propane. About 10 minutes later I go out and shut off the gas and move the coals to cooking position, then meat goes on.

Oh, and I also use the gas assist to fire up chimneys for my WSM.

Just a follow up to my prior post, the performer with gas assist is great. used about 6 times in 2 weeks or so. Love it, I am finally running out of K, looking for some lump, figure it is time to give it a try. By the way my wife loves it, cooking more outside keeps the kitchen clean. I can hose down my patio if i need to, dont think she would like it if i did that in the kitchen. :cool:

Before long you'll have one of each of their line up :) I love all of mine. Shoot, I even live the chargrilled flavor gas produces and like using a quality tool, using my weber gas is a pleasure.

Back