Time to replace the grate on my kettle...

Went to HomeDepot to pick up a replacement grate form my Weber Kettle, that I THOUGHT was an 18.5. Got it home and went to put it on.. Too Small!

Back to exchange it.... Now I can get the hinged grate that I really wanted.

The grate for my kettle is in fine condition,but I told the missus I want a hinged grate after we saw Raichlen use one on one of his shows!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell Y:
Doesn't everybody want one of these as a grate replacement?

Cast Iron Grate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have one of those, but I have mixed feelings about it. The biggest problem is that it's impossible to keep it seasoned. Every time I set up a two zone fire, the hot zone burns the seasoning right off. It's a constant battle to keep the thing from rusting. Just more trouble than it's worth.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell Y:
Doesn't everybody want one of these as a grate replacement?

Cast Iron Grate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have one of those, but I have mixed feelings about it. The biggest problem is that it's impossible to keep it seasoned. Every time I set up a two zone fire, the hot zone burns the seasoning right off. It's a constant battle to keep the thing from rusting. Just more trouble than it's worth.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always give mine a quick shot of spray oil (pam or whatever the no name stuff I buy is) right before I close the lid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have one of those, but I have mixed feelings about it. The biggest problem is that it's impossible to keep it seasoned. Every time I set up a two zone fire, the hot zone burns the seasoning right off. It's a constant battle to keep the thing from rusting. Just more trouble than it's worth </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do the same as Rob. I also rotate my inserts before every cook.(grates on the direct side to indirect). I've had them since Christmas and no signs of any rust so far.

I have the weber cast iron option and I really like it. I couldn't live without the hindged grate since I do all my smoking on my kettle.

I just got a craycort grate (the on in the link) for my 27 inch kettle and started using it this week. It's too soon for me to compare the two but so far, so good. I think it will be a great option for a regular kettle but the Weber option is a much better option for the performer because of the design with the hole in the middle (right over the burners).

I definitely recommend the hinged grate. Now that I have it on my new OTG I couldn't imagine grilling without it. I use it often to move coals around, add wood chunks, etc.

I'm just not that intrigued by the CIG option. Sear marks do nothing for me so I'm not sure why it would be worth it TO ME to buy one. But, I love my CI skillet so maybe someday I'll be a convert.

I'd suggest giving Weber a call and ordering a stainless stell grate. It's heavier then the nickled plated grates at HD (it's also hinged) and will last 3,4, or 5 times longer. I got mine when they first came out a couple years ago and it's almost like new with constant use. I'll cost you $2-3 more, but well worth it.

I got the Craycort grate 14 months ago. I am very happy with it, but I certainly recognize that it is not for everyone.

I have had no trouble keeping my grate seasoned - it has built up a nice glossy black finish, and now has what is essentially a non-stick surface. Rust simply has never been an issue for me. However, my grate has not reached this happy stage without a considerable amount of effort and care. Whatever this beast may be, it is absolutely NOT convenient.

First, I do not keep my grate outside on the kettle. It stays inside my house, in the box in which it was shipped (which I need to replace). I only bring it out when I am cooking steaks or other chops. Immediately before every single use, I coat the cooking surface with a thin coat of Crisco. An hour or so after every single use (while the grate is still warm/hot), I knock off any debris with one of those black rectangular plastic grill scrubbies, lay down another thin coat of Crisco, and back into its box it goes, to stay inside until the next time I cook steaks/chops.

I have never once departed from this routine, and my effort has been rewarded.

I recognize that few people are willing/able to go to these lengths, given the size and weight of the Craycort grate, as well as some amount of "mess factor" in lugging it inside for storage after every single cook. Those who are willing to invest this level of care would be well advised to go the cast-iron route, as it turns a kettle into an entirely different grill.

Grill-jockeys who value convenience would probably be better served by the SS hinged grate, or perhaps the Weber Gourmet System, if they are willing to invest a little more care into keeping the CI insert seasoned.

I definitely recommend the hinged grate for the Weber charcoal grill. I have had a cast iron grate on the Weber gas grill this past year, but I am not sure I can recommend it. It holds heat well, but I think I had more control with the original wire grate.

you can buy the hinged stainless steel grate from weber.com and you won't ever have to buy another cooking grate again. i've had mine for nearly 4 years.

Used the new grate last night using RO lump to grill some juicy lucys (cheese stuffed burgers). Threw a chunk of hickory in for good measure. They were awesome. Love the hinged grate.

I'm a CI bigot. So I'd recommend the Craycourts. After the cook, brush with the grill brush, apply a film of oil be for ****ting things down (close vents/lid).

My second choice would be to pick up the stainless grate from Weber that has already been mentioned above. I have never seen the stainless version for sale at the stores or on the web. Order a couple from a site that said they were stainless only to get them and find them to be the standard one. They have a specific part number. If they don't say stainless steel on them they are not the right ones.

Back