Throwdown #15: Pork Spareribs

Who's got the best entry in Throwdown #15: Pork Spareribs? Vote now!

• Chris Sherman - BRITU St. Louis Spareribs

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Dwain Pannell - Hotlanta Zing Spareribs

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • BEWarre - Spareribs with COTC and Soy Sauce Rice

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • William H - Competition Spareribs

• Tony R - Tony & Maribel Apple-Smoked Ribs

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • James Lake - St. Louie Ribs Wrapped in Bacon

• Mike Coffman - Apple & Maple Wood Smoked Spareribs

• Andy Ly - 3-2-1 Spareribs

• John Osmond - Ultimate Rib Sandwich

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Steve Aguilar - Sweet Seduction Smoked Spareribs

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • David - Bourbon-Rubbed Spareribs

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Scott Waller - Pork Spareribs with Cheesy Russet Potatoes

• Chris Lynch - Hatch Chile Jam Spareribs

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Brad Chilton - Spareribs...No Fannn-cy Forks Needed

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Steve has picked the next throwdown ingredient...I will post it this weekend. Stay tuned, it's gonna be a good one! :)

Congrats to Steve. A question however, since the vote is over. If, to my understanding, that smoke rings are not considered in competition cooks anymore as they can be "faked", why do you bother to enhance your's?.......................d

Congrats to Steve. A question however, since the vote is over. If, to my understanding, that smoke rings are not considered in competition cooks anymore as they can be "faked", why do you bother to enhance your's?.......................d

A naturally acquired smoke ring (ie. no Tender Quick used to fake it) is a byproduct of good smoke flavor. The smoke is attracted to a wet surface. Since I did not use water in the water pan, routinely spritzing the surface of the protein until the bark is fully set will assist the protein in acquiring smoke flavor. The apple/white grape juice I used adds another component to the overall flavor profile.

Perhaps I should've stated that I was spritzing to promote smoke flavor instead of a smoke ring. Regardless, when done correctly you achieve both with the technique I used. Also, this isn't a KCBS contest (I don't know what IBCA, MBN & other have to say about smoke rings) and the reaction to my ribs' smoke ring has been overwhelmingly positive.

A naturally acquired smoke ring (ie. no Tender Quick used to fake it) is a byproduct of good smoke flavor. The smoke is attracted to a wet surface. Since I did not use water in the water pan, routinely spritzing the surface of the protein until the bark is fully set will assist the protein in acquiring smoke flavor. The apple/white grape juice I used adds another component to the overall flavor profile.

Perhaps I should've stated that I was spritzing to promote smoke flavor instead of a smoke ring. Regardless, when done correctly you achieve both with the technique I used. Also, this isn't a KCBS contest (I don't know what IBCA, MBN & other have to say about smoke rings) and the reaction to my ribs' smoke ring has been overwhelmingly positive.

Yea, I used to do ribs like that........................d

Back