Three Pound Brisket?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Found it marked down to half price, and it is preseasoned with salt & pepper only. Are the chances good the finished product will tun out tough and dry for such a small size? This appears to be the flat portion of a whole brisket.

I never had any good luck with those super trimmed flats. You want at least a 1/4" of fat cap to protect the meat while smoking.
Should take about 2-2.5 hrs to smoke it. I would wrap at 140 ( normally you would wrap at 160ish, but without the fat you risk drying it out)
Add some butter and a splash of broth, then go by feel.
Tim

Much to my surprise, the flat did have a fat cap of sorts after I opened the packaging. I smoked it for four hours, and I would have smoked it longer, but dinner was getting late, so I pulled the brisket at about 175° - 180° temp range. We let it sit wrapped for 15 minutes or so before serving. The meat tasted pretty good, but I thought it was a bit chewy. No problem with dry meat though. The fat cap gave the meat good moisture content.

Next time, I think I'll shoot for 200°.

I smoked it with cherry wood and Royal Oak All Natural briquettes in the beige bag. (14" WSM)

6-22-20 012.jpg6-22-20 013.jpg

Last edited:
Was that brisket from ALDI? I cooked a 4 pounder from there last weekend. It turned out good, but very salty. I wish they would have had an unseasoned one I could try on my 3 week-old 26" Weber Kettle

Was that brisket from ALDI? I cooked a 4 pounder from there last weekend. It turned out good, but very salty. I wish they would have had an unseasoned one I could try on my 3 week-old 26" Weber Kettle

No, I found it at Harris Teeter (1/2 price). They had two, should have bought both at $3.00 per pound.

The brand name is Morton's of Omaha

Edit: Looks like they do sell these at Aldi according to a company search. I'll be on the lookout for another brisket ASAP.

Back