Thoughts on Tri-Tip

Timmy R

TVWBB Member
Planning 3 tri tip roasts for Saturday. I have cooked these a variety of ways in the past, but am thinking high heat on the WSM may be best.

My plan is high heat (350 lid) with water pan + terra cotta pot base to serve a drip pan and allow more control of temps. Oak chunks for smoke.

Thoughts? (Using Raichlen's Santa Maria Tri Tip Rub)

That could work.

I use the kettle most often; sear then finish indirect. Here is a recent thread on tri preferences.

When doing them whole, I usually skip the WSM and use the kettle. I'll grill for a few minutes on each side just to get some sexy grill marks, then move to indirect high heat. Usually takes less than an hour to reach med-rare.

We were short on time this weekend. Instead of roasts, I cut the roasts into 2x2x8 inch steaks and grilled them. 10-15 minutes on the grill and I was done. Sliced them thin and had tri-tip sandwiches. ummmmmm. Good Eats.

Should you choose the WSM I would skip the water in the pan. But I would use the kettle, I recently did five (see here) I used both for 5, but 3 would fit on the kettle.

Thanks to all. Sounds like it just comes down to personal preference. I have both indirect cooked them on my kettle and also gone with direct high to sear then indirect high to finish. I have also just run them with direct med-high the whole time and cooked them like a great big steak.

I plan this weekend to cook 3-4 and go with the method described on the WSM recipe site and the rub from BBQ USA. I am hoping to give them some good oak smoke flavor.

I will post results.

Tri-tips were really good. All 3 were on the top grate, and I put them on at the same time I put the wood on the WSM. Next time I will follow the instructions and wait for the smoke to subside a bit b-4 I put the roasts on. The smoke was a bit overpowering (still tasty) for the rub. All in all a success and the charcoal ring was still nice and hot for smores!

Back