Those Skinny Little Loin Backs

JimT

TVWBB Pro
When I do loin back ribs I buy them at Sam's Club, three to a cryovac, and cook them all at once. I'll cut them in half, and use a rib rack.

It's always bothered me that one end of the rack is so much thicker than the other, not only with larger bones, but more meat mass as well. I can always tell a difference in the "doneness" between the large end, and those "skinny little ribs" at the small end. I try to load the smallest ribs in the center of the rib rack, and the larger pieces on the outside. Still, I do detect a difference.

So here's some questions.

Has anyone:

Noticed this?

Thought about this??

Done something about this???

Thanks,

JimT

I have to move them once or twice to cook evenly. I cook the thinner halves on the cooler spots of my smoker and the thicker ones on the hotter areas.

Jim

When I do loin or back ribs, I separate the large from the small. I just remove the smaller ones when they're done and let the larger one's continue. I assume this is what you meant.

I'm glad you brought this up Jim. I got 5 racks of loin backs for the Super Bowl and I have never done them. I was going to use the rib/potato rack that my brother gave me for Christmas on the top rack, holding the larger halves and put the smaller ones on the bottom rack(s). I plan on doing a bunch of ABTs for the first time also. I'm not sure if I'll put those on the bottom or just put them on the 22 1/2". I'm leaning towards the latter with disposable aluminum pan(s) with holes punched in them.

Why not just put the smaller ones on 45 minutes or so after you put the larger ones on. Try to work a time frame out where that would work, or like mentioned in previous post, pull the smaller ones off earlier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Why not just put the smaller ones on 45 minutes or so after you put the larger ones on..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes the simplest of things escape me. Hadn't thought of that approach.
icon_confused.gif

Thanks!!

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Why not just put the smaller ones on 45 minutes or so after you put the larger ones on..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes the simplest of things escape me. Hadn't thought of that approach.
icon_confused.gif

Thanks!!

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, We all do that at times.
I do steaks that way. Wife/kids like Med., I like the middle warm, so I toss theirs on, wait a few, then toss mine on.

I unknowingly puchased two packs of loins and ended up with four smaller loins. I split one open slightly to hold contents(diced dried apricots/apples/prunes) and lay another loin on top of it with the large ends opposite each other and tied the pair together into one large stuffed loin using butchers twine. Repeated for the second set of loins. They cooked up great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hans Lain:
I unknowingly puchased two packs of loins and ended up with four smaller loins. I split one open slightly to hold contents(diced dried apricots/apples/prunes) and lay another loin on top of it with the large ends opposite each other and tied the pair together into one large stuffed loin using butchers twine. Repeated for the second set of loins. They cooked up great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you bought pork tenderloins. That's how they are usually packaged around here. If they were around 12 to 18 inches long, and 2 to 3 inches in diameter, that's definitely what you bought.

I like the idea of "stuffing" them with dried fruit. Sounds yummy!!

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hans Lain:
I unknowingly puchased two packs of loins and ended up with four smaller loins. I split one open slightly to hold contents(diced dried apricots/apples/prunes) and lay another loin on top of it with the large ends opposite each other and tied the pair together into one large stuffed loin using butchers twine. Repeated for the second set of loins. They cooked up great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you bought pork tenderloins. That's how they are usually packaged around here. If they were around 12 to 18 inches long, and 2 to 3 inches in diameter, that's definitely what you bought.

I like the idea of "stuffing" them with dried fruit. Sounds yummy!!

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a newbie. Figured the label said Pork Tenderloin. If it contained tenderloins, why was the label singlular vs plural? :P Either way they cooked up fork tender.

Back