This Weekend for sure !!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Going to do a 6.25 pound butt this weekend along with 3 full slabs of baby backs... I need help with a couple questions...
I'm going to allow 12 hours cook time for the butt - starting it on the top rack... I'm guessing about 5 hours for the ribs... When it's time to put the ribs on should I move the butt to the bottom rack and put the ribs on top? I will need to turn the ribs so I'm guessing that putting them on the bottom would not be good for all the heat loss when having to turn them...
I have never done a butt before, so any suggestions would be great... I am doing this for my son's birthday dinner and we plan to eat at 6:00 PM... I thought about doing the butt through the night - then wrapping it and putting it in a cooler - then I thought I would have to restart the smoker to get the heat to do the ribs - which I prefer to eat right off the grill...
I will be doing the BRITU for the ribs - and trying to decide between Mr Brown or Mustard recipe for the butt... Any suggestions there would be nice too !! By the way, is a "pork roast" the same as a "boston butt" ?!?
Thanks,

Gary
Just go ahead and put the butt on the bottom rack, I would not even put the top rack in the cooker untill the ribs go on.
If you figure you need 12 hours for the butts then start at 5am and give yourself some time if needed. A Pork Blade Roast is a butt, if it was called just a pork roast it could have come from a different cut.
BRITU works well on the butt also.
Jim

Gary,

If you go with the Smoke & Spice Mr. Brown Recipe, be aware that although it is very good, it is also quite spicy, especially if you do the mop (I would). It calls for a LOT of black pepper. I usually tone it down a bit to please the masses, although I like it spicy myself.

I second Jim's motion to allow extra time; you'll need time for cooling and pulling, assuming you're doing pulled pork. You can always keep it warm if it gets done early.

Good luck,
Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Smith:
[qb]Going to do a 6.25 pound butt this weekend along with 3 full slabs of baby backs... I need help with a couple questions...
I'm going to allow 12 hours cook time for the butt - starting it on the top rack... I'm guessing about 5 hours for the ribs...
--snip--
... I am doing this for my son's birthday dinner and we plan to eat at 6:00 PM... I thought about doing the butt through the night

--snip again--
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Gary,
I seem to get mostly 4-5 pound butts around here, and I can usually figure on them being on the heat for about 12 hours. If you plan to eat at 6:00, I think you would be wise to put that rascal on around midnight and then hit the sack. Around 6:00 a.m. it should be time to check the temp, rattle the charcoal, check the water, etc. Just make sure the temp is stable before you sack out. Use a full ring of Kingsford, and use the Minion method, bring the temp up slowly and let it stabilize. Then, you'll have a buffer zone, in case they take 14 hours or longer. You can always put the ribs on later and stoke the fire if you need to. 5 Hours ought to be about right for them. But, on the pork butts, 2 hours per pound is a good starting place. Sometimes it goes off at 1-1/2 hours per pound, sometimes it goes over 2 hours.
In any case, you need to let the butt rest for an hour or so after you take it off the cooker. You didn't mention whether you are going to slice it or pull it, but man, let me tell you.. When you take it inside, lock the doors so the neighbors can't get in!
Good luck Gary. Happy Birthday to your son.

Ronnie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back