This is NOT your mama's meatloaf, take two...

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I got to hankering after some more Meatloaf on a Plank. I put a couple of skewers under a cedar plank in a large serving tray to make sure the plank gets lots of soaking water. I also put a couple of skewers on top of the plank and then sit a fire brick on top to submerge the plank. That may be a bit anal, but it insures a good soaking. I soak a minimum of one hour:

I do meatloaf on my Weber OTG. I dump one chimney of new briquettes fully lit and spread it evenly over the charcoal grate. I adjust my air until it will produce about 300 degrees (about one third open on the bottom vents - top fully open).

The meatloaf is made up from a recipe from the Plank Cooking Book - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570614741/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

An essential part of the process is the sauce from the book.

The meatloaf is spooned onto the pre-heated plank (I put the food side down and pre-heat for two minutes then flip until it starts smoking). I remove the plank carefully with tongs (it's HOT) and place in the serving tray to receive the meat:

Then the sauce is carefully applied to the top of the meatloaf:

Using gloves, carefully place the meatloaf covered plank onto the food grate of the grill. Cover it. It will take from 45 minutes to an hour+ten minutes to be finished. It's a good idea to check the internal temperature after 45 minutes. Watch the grill after you close it up. You want a small amount of smoke (indicating it is hot enough to char the board and bathe the meat in the loving hands of Mr. Smoke). You do NOT want billowing smoke (that indicates it is too hot and the risk of setting the plank on fire ruining the cook is ever present). After you do it a time or two, you'll get the idea.

Remove the plank and meatloaf (carefully) and place in the serving tray. I carry it in the house intact and serve off the tray.

If you look closely, you'll see where the plank has split - I made a tactical error in re-using a plank that should have been reserved for a ten minute fish cook. Use a NEW plank every time you make meatloaf. You'll thank me for this tip.

I am watching my portions, so this plate looks to have small portions (it does). However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I admit that I went back for seconds:rolleyes:.

Without question, this meatloaf is the best I have ever eaten, bar NONE! It does require a bit of work in chopping vegetables and making the sauce but it is SO worth it. Again, in the spirit of full disclosure, my wife chopped the vegetables, mixed the meat, and made the sauce. Well, I DID do the grill work:rolleyes:...

Buy the book but if you want to have a copy of the recipe, send me your email address by private message and I'll send it to you, post haste!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
I haven't cooked anything on a plank either, but that right there changes my mind...that's unreal looking...I showed it to my wife, who doesn't like meatloaf, and she said we have to try that lol

That looks Killer Robert!
Funny, I'm a Carpenter and allergic to a wood like Cedar. Maybe Oak or Maple planks would be better for me. Normally I just use a sheet of parchment paper under the loaf.
Do you really notice a distinct flavor cooking over a plank compared to just using the top grate and adding smoke-wood?
Not being critical Bud.. Just asking.:)

Tim

I do salmon on a plank, and I am always really surprised at the amount of flavor it adds. I usually do it indirect, so it is not even really smoking. But, it tastes unbelievable.

timothy;
The plank does more than add smoke. It also seems to help retain moisture in the product. In other words, it "tempers" the cook.

Costco has a package of planks (four large - about 6"x16" and 4 half planks (6"x8") for $6.99 (as per today). That is WAY better priced than Home Depot or Lowes, as an example. My son just buys a 1"x6"x8' plank from Lowes and cuts his own. Being considerably thicker, the individual planks last through several cooks (I get about three cooks per plank when doing fish but only one when doing meatload due to the longer time over the fire). At any rate, when I see them on sale at Costco (once a year right after the start of the grilling season, I load up for the season.

I would think that most any plank would work similar. Alder, where available, is commonly used for salmon, as an example. Try it out and let us know what your experience is. Of course, stay away from the resinous woods like pine unless you like the flavor of pine tar...

Keep on smokin',

Here is a better link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570614741/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

As always, when ordering from Amazon go to the top of this page to the Amazon link and this forum gets a bit from Amazon for the referral.

Keep in mind, the book is written for the gas grill but I had/have NO problems using the recipes on my charcoal grill. Just control the temperature so as not to set the plank on fire:rolleyes:. I regularly do salmon, cod, whole onions, etc on a plank. Definitely, GOOD EATS (Alton Brown)...

Again, if you like the looks of the meatloaf send me a P.M. with your email address and I'll forward the recipe for the meatloaf AND the sauce.

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:

Back