thinking about getting...........

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
a chefs choice model 120 electric knife sharpener. Does anyone use one of these and if so what r your thought? thanks for the advice

I have the 130 and like it, but it only has one angle. I recently purchased an Apex EdgePro and am liking it so far, but there is a bit of a learning curve. Starting with my older crappier knives so as not to wreck a good one

I am leery about electric sharpeners,because you may run the risk of getting to much heat on the blade close to the edge,changing the temper of the steel.On cheap knives its not much of a problem,but i would hate to use it on a decent blade.Also they remove too much steel at a time in my opinion.I have a variety of stones which i use when needed,but use a steel before using a blade and i can go for weeks before having to touch up a blade on a stone.Learning to use a steel properly takes time,and a smooth steel only realigns the edge without removing any metal.

Please forgo the Electric sharpener and get the Apex--your knives will thank you.

As Dann said, there is a little bit of a learning curve--but you really cannot hurt anything (unless you are using the Coarse stone)--if you trash the edge, you just gain more practice in getting the edge back :)

Sure it takes a little longer that the electric, but it is SOOTHING! And the edge will be MUCH finer.

You'll find much love for the EdgePro products on the board.

Kevin H.

I have a Chef's Choice 110 that I have used with decent results. I have an Edge Pro System now that I like a Lot better because of the control, choice of stones, etc. Highly recommend the Edge Pro.

If you want to try a Chef's Choice I know someone who has one for sale cheap
icon_smile.gif
Chef's Choice work fine, but not the same as hand sharpening IMHO which you can attain with the Edge Pro. CC take a bit of practice too though. The trick is not forcing and using a light touch.

i know the edgepro has gotten some good reviews. so has chef choice model 120. I just dont have a lot of time and if the electric could get me descent results in a fraction of the time i think i would opt for that one. I have a lansky, and it just takes a long time and it doesnt seem to be to consistent.

Is it worth the extra money to get the professional model Edgepro vs. The Apex?

I have read that the pro. has a greater range of possible angles starting at 6 degrees. Does the Apex only go as low as 10 degrees?

Only ask because of the knives that require sharpening less than 10 degree angle.

I have the chefs choice and have Henckel knives. I'm not sure if the angle is correct (never knew that it mattered) but they are sharp and I use the finishing grind every time I use the knives. I am very satisfied.

Mike_M,
I assume you mean pro model as apposed to the Apex. I did read somewhere on line that you can get those angles with the Apex also, but you had to make or buy some leg extensions. If my memory serves correctly that is.

Corey,
The Lansky shouldn't take that long unless you have to clamp your way up the blade sharpening as you go. On most kitchen knives larger than paring knives you have to do this. However, a few tips to speed things up...choose a sharpening angle that closely matches the original angle.I do this by using my fine stone, selecting an angle then looking at the edge as it lays on the stone. If its not flat you will be able to see it. Change the angle and look again until you get the blade edge to lay flat on the stone. If you don't like what you see, reclamp the blade if you have to. The more metal you have to remove the longer its going to take.

Don't fret about starting with the coarse stone, and don't change to a finer one until you've worked up a burr edge from heel to point, on both sides of the blade. More specifically, keep working on one side of the blade until you have built up that burr edge, if not you are waisting time. I don't know how many hours I waisted going...50 on this side, 50 on that. Anyway...Check for a burr edge by running your thumb at a 90 across the edge...opposite the side you are sharpening on at the time. Again, don't flip the blade over or change to a finer stone until you've worked up the burr edge from heel to point. When you've done both side of the blade with a stone, flip the blade over and move on to the next finer stone.

I hope this helps.

Dennis

Back