Thinking About Espresso

We got a bag of Death Wish last year as a gift and it was surprising how good it was. I was expecting really strong, bitter coffee, but both my wife and I liked it a lot and will be getting it again some time. It had a very complex, smooth, strong but not too strong taste.
1710520318907.png

I store my whole beans in the freezer until I need to open another bag.
I prefer the 2.2# bags as there are 3 heavy coffee/espresso drinkers in my household.
Do you vacuum seal them first? I am wondering if perhaps rather than putting the sealed bags on top of my fridge (where admittedly it's a bit warmer than actual room temp perhaps around 78 deg vs 71/72) I should store them in freezer to keep them from "gassing"? Now with some excellent coffee makers (my Breville Precision Brewer and both of my espresso machines), I am finding I notice the degradation of my coffee even though I try to store a started bag remainder carefully.
I would really like to preserve that "first opened" flavor and aroma longer.

Do you vacuum seal them first? I am wondering if perhaps rather than putting the sealed bags on top of my fridge (where admittedly it's a bit warmer than actual room temp perhaps around 78 deg vs 71/72) I should store them in freezer to keep them from "gassing"? Now with some excellent coffee makers (my Breville Precision Brewer and both of my espresso machines), I am finding I notice the degradation of my coffee even though I try to store a started bag remainder carefully.
I would really like to preserve that "first opened" flavor and aroma longer.
I store the unopened bags only in the freezer, once opened then I put the bag near my coffee machine which gets used up fairly quickly (within a couple weeks).
I have a vacuum sealer (for my hops) but I didn't notice any loss of freshness to attempt to vacuum seal and re-freeze my coffee beans. If I bought 5# bags of coffee I may reconsider.

I store the unopened bags only in the freezer, once opened then I put the bag near my coffee machine which gets used up fairly quickly (within a couple weeks).
I have a vacuum sealer (for my hops) but I didn't notice any loss of freshness to attempt to vacuum seal and re-freeze my coffee beans. If I bought 5# bags of coffee I may reconsider.
Would sure like to hear from someone who actually vacuum seals and stores. I think Chris chimed in on this at one point but did not say if he stored in refrigerated/frozen space or room temp

Would sure like to hear from someone who actually vacuum seals and stores. I think Chris chimed in on this at one point but did not say if he stored in refrigerated/frozen space or room temp
I don't know that I can distinguish between freshly-opened beans vs those that have been opened for a while but I'm sure @Chris Allingham will respond to you soon if you serenade him and send him a good morning message everyday for a couple weeks.

But you have me thinking about your nature: it would be interesting for you to buy a bag, divide it, and seal and store them in a variety of ways for x span of time and then test each of them as close to the same time as possible, such as across a few days or so, and share your thoughts.

I don't know that I can distinguish between freshly-opened beans vs those that have been opened for a while but I'm sure @Chris Allingham will respond to you soon if you serenade him and send him a good morning message everyday for a couple weeks.

But you have me thinking about your nature: it would be interesting for you to buy a bag, divide it, and seal and store them in a variety of ways for x span of time and then test each of them as close to the same time as possible, such as across a few days or so, and share your thoughts.
Great minds think alike. I am considering doing just that. I will report and then I will see if perhaps should I whisper some sweet nothings in Chris' ear he may chime in :D

I think Chris chimed in on this at one point but did not say if he stored in refrigerated/frozen space or room temp
My wife is the coffee drinker, not me. She vacuum packs and freezes them. She is not a picky coffee drinker and has not complained about quality/taste over time. She drinks her coffee black with no sweetener, so she's getting the straight flavor after storage and seems happy with the results.

My wife is the coffee drinker, not me. She vacuum packs and freezes them. She is not a picky coffee drinker and has not complained about quality/taste over time. She drinks her coffee black with no sweetener, so she's getting the straight flavor after storage and seems happy with the results.
Hey, thanks for that. I am going to try a pack vacuumed and freezer stored. While I am certainly no pro coffee taster I do sense the difference in taste and degradation on coffee that's been opened awhile. I've not timed it, but if I open a 2lb bag it takes about 2-3 weeks to finish it, and by a few days in I can already sense the loss of character. So my goal is to package it into 2 or 3 day supplies. Open a pouch fresh at no more than 4 days.
Thanks for the input.
My preferred way is I use agave nectar. Just a touch. Perhaps 1/4 tsp or so is all. And about a tsp to 1.5 tsp of heavy cream so I get it "smoothed out" a little but not "diluted".
Just enough to take the "edge" off the cup. Oddly many times I'll drink the espresso shot straight. (of course at times a touch of grappa is VERY welcome in it) :D

We've been buying 4 lb. bulk packs from a semi-local roaster that are vacuum sealed. Once we open a bag, it gets dumped into a plastic bucket that's mostly air tight. Lessee..... about 450 grams per lb, so that's about 1800 grams per bag, and we use 100 grams per run in the coffee maker. That's about 18 days, two & a half weeks. Going stale just doesn't seem to be a problem for us.

I open a bag of beans, fill up a 4.7cup Rubbermaid Brilliance container*, then vacuum seal and store the rest of the beans in the pantry at room temp. When the Rubbermaid container is empty, I refill it from the vac-sealed bag, and reseal it. I usually buy 2.5 - 3lb bags from Costco. My go-to is San Francisco Coffee Co. French Roast, or Mayorga Cubano, or Starbucks French Roast....whichever is on-sale. I've never had an issue with coffee beans off-gassing or any issue with vacuum sealed bags.

*I can highly recommend these. They're air-tight. A lot of my cigar buddies use them as humidors.

Crema formation. So I've been pulling shots from the SF Bay FR. With both my KitchenAid and the Casabrews. FWIW I think the Casabrews makes a better tasting shot. But, that aside. Noticed with these SF Bay beans I don't get as much crema.
Does the fact they're French or Dark Roast cause less crema to form? Does not seem to matter, if I use pressurized or non pressurized basket(s), how much I tamp it down (even to the point of the pressure gauge going quite a bit too high), how fine I grind or which machine I use. Little to no crema. Yet with the lighter roasted beans much more crema.
Of course these beans are past their "sell by" date. Perhaps is this it? FWIW the brew (shots) all taste great.

Crema formation. So I've been pulling shots from the SF Bay FR. With both my KitchenAid and the Casabrews. FWIW I think the Casabrews makes a better tasting shot. But, that aside. Noticed with these SF Bay beans I don't get as much crema.
Does the fact they're French or Dark Roast cause less crema to form? Does not seem to matter, if I use pressurized or non pressurized basket(s), how much I tamp it down (even to the point of the pressure gauge going quite a bit too high), how fine I grind or which machine I use. Little to no crema. Yet with the lighter roasted beans much more crema.
Of course these beans are past their "sell by" date. Perhaps is this it? FWIW the brew (shots) all taste great.
Older beans (perhaps even well past their prime beans) = less or no crema. I can't remember the compounds in coffee that are responsible for crema formation under pressure, but they dissipate as the beans age..... If the shots taste great, that's a bonus!

Yeah, I guess that even though the coffee (both drip and espresso) tastes a little "flat" it's not tasting bad or anything. Just not as vibrant as I like. Sure hope when I finally get to open that Kirkland House Blend it's still good

I've never understood the fascination with crema. My remark isn't directed at you, but at coffee people in general, and your post reminded me about a conversation I had with my Mom. She's older now, and a Nespresso is much easier for her to use, and she was going on about how much better the coffee is, (as opposed to that nasty Keurig that it replaced), and raved about the crema it produces.

I think that the whole "crema" thing is overrated. Maybe my coffee palate isn't as sophisticated as some, but I don't taste much difference between a cup with, or without, a lot of crema. Espresso tastes great regardless. I did a little research, (well did a search using the term "what's the big deal about crema" and it made for some interesting reading. Some baristas are in firmly in the crema camp, and some say it's unnecessary and suggest scraping it off before serving. I guess it's similar to the "charcoal vs gas" thing, but to my unsophisticated palate, it's all the same.

I too don't notice much if any taste difference in the actual "liquid". To my tastes it seems to make it just a little "smoother". Kind of like when you draw a beer through a nice head of foam. It just "hits" different. But, I also don't lose any sleep over it either :D

Back