Thin Vinyl Gloves -- safe for food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Provost

TVWBB Fan
I was working on the mower today and my hands smell like gas. No matter what I do I can't get the smell out.

My wife has a box of thin vinyl gloves that she got from a salon supply store. The are described as "lightly powdered" and "not for medical use".

Would these be safe to use for pulling pork? I don't want the food to smell like gas. But I don't want it to taste like vinyl either.

Thanks.
Rob

Powder eases the donning of latex gloves, but I don't know if you'd want it in your rub. Some thoughts here.

Rob,

We used to have these type of gloves when I worked with optics at LockMart . We eventually went to the non-powdered gloves, but in the meat time, cleaning the powder off with alcohol was acceptable. If it's good enough for high-tech military optics, it's probably good enough for pork
icon_cool.gif
Isopropal should work...let dry before handling meat
icon_wink.gif

BTW, you can get the powderless gloves at Sams at a reasonable price.

HTH,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Mengel:
To get the gas smell off, spray your hands with WD-40. Wipe off and then go wash your hands with soap. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And as an added bonus, no more squeeky hands !

I never heard of that. I usually just wander around smelling like gas for a day.
icon_rolleyes.gif

jeff

Bill,

Thanks for the tip! I never heard the WD-40 trick before.

I'll try that next time. Maybe that will also take care of my rusty knuckles problem......

Put the gloves on and then wash your hands as you normally would (soap and water). This will effectively "wash" the powder on the outside of the gloves away. Perfectly fine for contact with food, and much cleaner as it covers all your hand's creases, nails and wrinkles where bugs love to hide.

konevik

I use non latex medical gloves when pulling pork or messing with rubs etc. They work well and Im still here so there cant be anything toxic in them thats too bad. Besides if theyre good enough for me to pick up blood guts and brains then they are good enough for BBQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back