thighs

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
so i've been noticing that the skin on thighs is like held on by a small piece but otherwise just flapping around. i don't remember this being a problem years ago. is it me or has something changed ? what can i do about it ? its a pain to turn the thighs over with the skin wanting to fall off. wife likes crispy skin so i gotta deal with it. i don't eat skin.
thanks,

That the way I always remember it. And yes it is a PIA to turn. and god forbit if it happens to stick a little and rips off.

Thighs did not used to be trimmed nearly at all in the 'old days'. This left the membrane that attaches skin to flesh intact. One sees (more often now) thighs that have been trimmed of excess fat off the sides, and with it the skin - and the membrane edge that holds the skin to the flesh. Depending on how much they are <STRIKE> hacked </STRIKE> cut at the processor's or in the back, one can end up with membrane-less thighs in the package.

Switch brands or stores, if necessary. Look for thighs that have substantial extraneous skin. This can be trimmed more closely, the membrane left intact, excess skin and fat removed.

Ha! It is so funny that you are mentioning this tonight about the skin and the thighs... Think I must be going nuts! Normally I do up a spatch, but tonight I wound up with chicken parts... I say chicken parts, because I used to grill up nice chicken pieces. The store actually had no whole chickens today, so I wound up purchasing two whole "cut up" chickens to grill with some white sauce. Guess there is a beginner doing the cutting now a days, but I think that is the problem you are having... VERY reputable name mind you, but each piece totally looked horrific in each of the packs. I was pretty mad actually, mad enough to get a camera and send off a pic to the company...

Let's just say, I think they should take WAY more "Pilgrims Pride" in their products...

thigh.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Thighs did not used to be trimmed nearly at all in the 'old days'. This left the membrane that attaches skin to flesh intact. One sees (more often now) thighs that have been trimmed of excess fat off the sides, and with it the skin - and the membrane edge that holds the skin to the flesh. Depending on how much they are <STRIKE> hacked </STRIKE> cut at the processor's or in the back, one can end up with membrane-less thighs in the package.

Switch brands or stores, if necessary. Look for thighs that have substantial extraneous skin. This can be trimmed more closely, the membrane left intact, excess skin and fat removed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, the way I remember too... Not so sure you could "turn in" one of my examples today!
icon_smile.gif

I know it's a PITA but if I'm looking to impress guests with nice looking thighs I will pin the skin in place with wooden toothpics that have been soaked in water. Just remember to remove them when you serve.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let's just say, I think they should take WAY more "Pilgrims Pride" in their products...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lonnie, any chance you could tip us off on what brand of Chicken you are referring too? lol

Back