Thermometers

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is the 8" thermometer from Allied Kenco good to use with the WSM? I was wondering if the 8" stem is too long and will be touching pork butt roasts, brisket, turkeys etc.? Or do you just slide the pot clip down the stem more to keep it closer to the top? I guess ideally it would be best to get a reading from the cooking rack, that is if the thermometer wasn't on the meat.

Masterbuilt has a Deep-Fry thermometer with a 6" stem and a clip, but the ad doesn't say what its temperature range is. If it is made for hot oil, it must go up to at least 350-400. The Allied Kenco thermometer goes from 50-550.
The Masterbuilt cost $9.95 and the Allied Kenco cost $19.95. Allied Kenco also has the really nice one with the 1/2" threaded base for mounting and it costs about $35-$40. I am a little apprehensive about attempting to mount the Thermometers in my WSM's. I wish I knew somebody that has done it before that I could "hire" (for a 12 pack or a case..lol) to do it for me. With my luck, I would ruin my smokers trying to do this.

I like to hang a Polder probe in one of the top vents and then when needed stick it in the meat to check internal. One tool for two jobs save money for meat.
been using the NuTemp units lately, being able to be away from the cooker and still keep an eye on it has a nice, warm and fuzzy feeling to it.
Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Minion (edited 09-13-2001).]

I agree with Jim!

Why fool around with a stem type thermo? The Polders can be had for $15.00...I just bought 2 more.....and they serve double duty. You don't need a high level of accuracy(+/- 5?) so why pay more for that? Plus, it is a real help for the newbies because you can "map" your pit.

Don't worry about running the cable under the lid(just be gentle when closing)...I have been doing that for several years and have lost only one probe, out of 5 that I use.

Just MHO

Stogie

Yeah, I already have 5 or 6 Polder-type thermometers. I guess my main concerns about using them were:

1. Either the lid messing up the probe wire
or the probe wire preventing the lid from
seating properly allowing heat and smoke
to escape.

2. The units do not attach well with their
magnets, so you have to have a very close
table next to the smoker to set them on.

3. When you lift the smoker lid to check the
meat, it might yank out the probe from the
meat or yank the unit from wherever it is
placed, jerking it to fall to the ground.
(This obviously would be if you were
running the probe through the top vent).

Does anybody ever run the probe through the lower vent holes? This might not be a good idea though if it prevents you from opening and closing the vent as needed.

I really enjoy using my Polder thermometers though for monitoring internal temps in my cookshack smoker. Since the top of this smoker is flat, the units sit nicely on top without ever falling off and I run the probes through the little smoke hole on top.
There is a thermostat, so I don't have to constantly monitor the smoker temp. Once in a while I will insert a quick-read thermometer into the top smoke hole just to check.

Thanks everybody.

I have been using 2 polders for a couple of years with no problems. I stick one in the meat with the wire run under the lid and hang another one in the top vent to monitor cooker temp. Simple, and works great.

Steve

Rocky
WSM's don't need to be air tight, so running a probe wire under the lid is not a problem.

I would not consider running the probe from the bottom of the pit.

Don't use the magnets to hold the unit on the pit, to much heat. A table, chair or box next to the cookers to place the base unit on works well.

You already have the Polder units, use them and enjoy.
Cook'n this weekend??
jim

'Afternoon Rocky:
Following the information wealth from this site, I've taken a slightly different approach. I've drilled and mounted a Brinkman 4" probed industrial thermometer through the WSM body approximately 4" above the fuel door. I use this to monitor the general inside temps of the smoker and have found that a consistent 250 degree reading is optimum for the 225-250 degree generally accepted temp range (lower grill). Other than for ribs, fish, etc. I also use a set of Maverick Remote probes and run the probes under the lid allowing the plastic readout device to safely reside on a table near the WSM. This dual setup works very well for me but like Jim Minion warned me, I do have to remember that the internal probe is there when adding/removing the lower grill and water pan or accidents occur! Keep trying until you reach what works for you; good luck!
?John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back