Thermometers -- Why do they suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I hate them. I've got a brisket and two butts going right now. I've got an analog probe stuck in one of the top vents, reading about 260. Sure, it's supposed to be hot up there. I've got a Maverick et-73 on the top rack reading 209 -- after like 1.5 hours, with bottom vents open. I guess there's a lot of stuff in there so it's taking a while to get up. I stuck the food probe into the brisket andit's reading 165. O.k. Maybe I stuck it in too far or too shallow. But then I put a polder probe in next to the maverick oven probe, and it's at 240! Jayzoo Kristay. What's a fellow to do?

Ain't it the truth. Last weekend I was smoking two butts and just for grins I put an et-73 probe and one of the mechanical dial thermometers that come with the Weber gassers side by side and the variation was 10 degrees. I know without being told I should do the calibration thing but just haven't gotten around to it. Besides I don't thing either one can be calibrated. Stone, I share your frustration.

Griff

Stone and Griff, simply put the therms in boiling water. If they read 212 degrees then they are right on. Make your adjustments from there!

It is necessary to only immerse the tip of the probe to get a reading. What you don't want is water entering the probe where the cable is inserted.

I used a Maverick ET-72 for the first time this weekend and it was flawless. Only has the one probe instead of two like the ET-73. Used the Maverick for the meat and the dial thermometer through the side of the WSM right below the top grate for the cooker temp.

I solved this problem many years ago.
Buy a decent thermometer! I bought a Fluke digital thermometer for about 120 bucks. Been using it for 7 or 8 years with no problems. I'd wager that a lot of bbqers have spent much more than that on cheap thermometers over the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back