Thermometers are frustrating!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
Right now I have my two Nu-Temp remote thermometers in the vent. One reads 240 the other 226. I take the 240 one out of the vent and stick it in my brisket and it reads 289. Yeah right?! So I go get my instant read analog Taylor probe and stick it in the brisket - 160. *** Over?! What am I supposed to believe? I know you'll say stick the probe in and if it goes in like it's going in melted butter it's done, but I like to be reassured by a temperature at least. What's a guy to do??? It's a 9lb brisket wholesale cryovac that's been on for about 8 1/2 hours at anywhere from 240-290.

I feel your pain. All I have to offer is:

Only trust that which reads 212* in boiling water at sea level, and even then, be suspicious...

Seriously, if you can get a best-two-out-of-three reading with what you have available, go with that. Are you sticking the thermo in the same place each time? -- the point and flat will read differently-- but shouldn't be that different, though. Conventional wisdom suggests that a 9 lb. whole brisket should take about 13.5 hours or more to reach tenderness (which is beyond doneness).

ps: My Polder remote lies just like your Nu-Temp.

That boiling water test confuses me. When water starts boiling, it has tiny bubbles. Is that boiling? When it's a rolling full boil, it's boiling. Is that boiling? When do I put the thermometer in? Can't boiling water be various stages of boiling and therefore various temperatures?

For the purposes we're looking for here, go ahead and let it come to a full, rolling boil-- for consistency, if nothing else. If I stuck a thermo in even mildly boiling water and it read under 200, or over 220, I would know there's a problem.

Ok, both my nu-temp remote expensive probes read around 235 in boiling water. My $12 taylor analog probe reads right around 212. Guess the cheap analog ones are more reliable. So much for having my nu-temps wake me up at night when the temp gets too high or low. I guess I could just always subtract 15-20 degrees.

Water can only reach 212 degrees so go for the biggest boiling steaming pot of water you can get. After 212 all you have is steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back