*%&((&# Thermometer

David Willis

TVWBB Member
First smoke in a while, and had the new Kingsford to try out. Anyway, Minion, 12 lb Shoulder, water, perfect weather in Houston. Vents 100%, temp quickly to 250 with heavy duty dial thermometer been using since I got my WSM, bottoms set to 50%, temp to 240, so I let well enough alone. Checked back in 20 minutes, 230, good ol WSM, as reliable as ever. 1 hour, 235. 1/3 water gone (this should have turn on "the lights"). OK, finally, it's 10PM, my usual technique to go into the house, get the remote thermo, plug into the meat and lid. While sliding into meat, temp went to 182. Huh?. Out, 80, in, 182. OK, lid.......360....aaagggh! Dial? 240.

Meat feels a bit tough. Not sure what to do. Basted, added water, but it'll be at 190 in no time. Doggone dial. What's Easter without good pork? :-). Too late to put the other one on and make it to Church. Sigh.

Any ideas on how to save this shoulder?

How many hours did it cook?

Make sure you check temps in different places too. If I am reading this right, I am assuming your shoulder got to 182 in a few hours?

Around 7 hours. It actually turned out OK, BTW. I foiled it and let it rest 2 hours then pulled. I could tell some of the fat had not fully rendered, but it mixed in quite well. I'd say it got to 182 at about 6.5 hours. Once I closed all the vents, it still took the Bullet almost 45 minutes to get to 275.

Back