Thermometer troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrell Hill

TVWBB Member
What is the method of choice for obtaining a standard cooking temp reading. I can't seem to get the hang of temp settings. I'm not sure if its a thermometer problem or just a lack of understanding on placement of the thermo. I have a Cagin cooker thermo which I fitted thru the top vent with the aid of a wine cork, a polder electronic thermo, and a regular oven thermo. All pass the boiling water test within + OR - 5 degrees. However, when I try to measure the temp while cooking I get vast differences in temp. So if I set the cooker to cook at 220 at the top vent, the oven thermo will read radically higher on the top grate. If I try to validate the oven thermo with the polder thermo stuck thru a potato, the temp is lower, but not near the vent temp. I have tried to use the polder thru the top vent, and get a simular temp to the Cagin thermo.
Does placement of a thermo at the top vent or top grate accurately reflect the temp on the bottom grate?

Hi and welcome, Darrell!

Short answer..NO.

The WSM USUALLY runs hotter at the top of the lid, cooler on the top grate and even cooler on the lower grate.

Having said that, it is sometimes not quite that simple..I have had several occasions where the top grate was higher than the vent. No idea why, but over a long cook, the top grate is indeed cooler than the vent holes.

Keep in mind, placement of the probe is critical! If you have it too near the sides, you will get higher readings because the hot air is blasting up those sides. If you have it too near the meat, it will read lower.

Not sure how you tested your oven thermo in boilng water?? They are not designed to be immersed in water. If you did that, throw it away, it's ruined...sounds like it is the weak link anyway.

I say stick with your other 2 probes as they agreed when placed in the top vent.

When I did testing on the differences between the various grates, I found about a 10-15? between each. So, knowing that, if I am measuring from the lid, I will cook at 240? figuring my top grate is around 225?.

Keep in mind...these temp diferences are a moving target! Ambient weather conditions can change everything quite dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back