Thermometer through vent help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy W

TVWBB Member
My digital thermometer just broke and my better half will not allow me to buy another just yet. (she wears the pants) so for the time being I am just going to put a thermometer through the vent on the ots. My question is there a particular stem length I should get. I found a 7" one that think would work. Is that too long or too short?
I appreciate the help.

Billy

Sounds about right. I use a 6" on the WSM and OTG. Did you get a turkey fryer therm with a metal clip? That's what I use and the clip can adjust the height of your therm.

Tim

Thanks Timothy! I am really torn about a analog or just waiting for a another digital.
All the analogs I have found only go to 400 degrees. I would prefer something that went higher but it's not a big deal.
Whoever thought choosing a thermometer would be such a difficult process.

Thank you for the link. Is that stem long enough or should I try and fond a 7 inch? I figured closer to the grate the better. Would the 2 inches make a difference?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I figured closer to the grate the better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It isn't. And it's a PITA with something big in there.

I am not a fan of grate temping at all - too many variables to screw it up (where you place it, how close to the meat, how close to the edge, yada, yada). Temping at the lid is consistent. It utterly does not matter if there is a temp difference between lid and grate. The thing is to get used to temping in one place (people drive themselves nuts temping in multiple places).

I use one a analog in the venthole, Bought a cheap one at lowes made by Char Broil it goes to 700 degress. Belive it cost 7~8 buck's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Analog therm for a vent hole. Pretty much all I ever use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't seen one like that before. Thanks for posting. That looks perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back