Thermometer Stem Length

JimT

TVWBB Pro
I have an Ashcroft thermometer mounted in the lid opposite the vent, as described on this site. The one I purchased has a 4 inch stem length. This puts the tip of the thermometer about 6 inches above the top grate, and not too far from the center. I'm wondering if this might be a little too close to the meat. I consistantly get "lid" temps that are very close to "grate" temps measured with a digital probe.

I'm wondering if the 2.5 inch stem length they offer would be a better choice. When mounted, the tip would be about 3 inches down into the lid, instead of 4.5 on the longer one.

All thoughts appreciated,

JimT

As long as "you" know about what the temp at the grate is, I don't think it matters much. I find that on a long cook, grate and lid are relatively close anyway.

I use a short stem through the lid, realizing that there may be a 15-20 degree grate difference at the start. After many hours, the temps pretty much even out if the lid remains on(no peeking).

If I am doing a more delicate short cook (bback ribs), I am much more aware of temps staying fairly precise during it's cook.

Otherwise, I don't think it matters that much as long as you stay within your range.

Thanks Craig. You sort of answred the question when you said you use a short stem.

I guess what I'm looking for here is consistency, and weening myself from all the probes I have monitoring temperatures. I'd like to be able to just look at the thermometer and say to myself, "Yup, lid temps 240, right where I want it," and know that my grate temp is somewhere around 225.

That just doesn't seem to happen with my set up. My temperatures are all over the map compared to what I read on this forum, and I suspect it may be due to the position of the lid thermometer. Think about it. If it is 4 inches above a brisket flat, would it read the same if it were 1/2 inch above a big pile of ribs? I'm wondering if switching to a shorter stem length would give me more consistant results.

JimT

Good point.

You might try the shorter stem then.

I stopped using the digital grate probes a long time ago because it drove me crazy watching temps flucuate digitally. I would then get "too attentive", which I now realize isn't necessary.

I just use a screw in lid therm that I bought at HD for $18.

Back