Thermometer Stem Length in Mid Section

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've got 2 Trend model 33's, both with 6" stem lengths. I plan to mount one in the lid using a unibit. If I mount the one in the mid section will the 6" stem length be too long? I know I can use a Polder, I just thought since I've got 2 of these things I'd stick one in the mid section. Looks like the 6" stem may be so long it'll hit meat on the bottom grate. What do some of you all think?

Thanks!

------------------
JT

Seems like it would make it hard to change the water pan and lower grate.

Johnny
I would not mount a therm in the mid section.
The one in the lid is plenty. BBQ is not baking and exact temps are not needed. Q is about cooking in heat ranges (225? to 270?).
If the lid reads 250? the bottom grate will be from 15 to 25 degrees cooler, the top grate is 10 to 15 degrees cooler.
Save the second therm for your next WSM. :>
Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Minion (edited 08-20-2001).]

I have mounted a thermometer just below the top grill using a method I saw posted here earlier. I removed the top screw from one of the grill support brackets and replaced it with a 1" long hollow aluminum spacer held in place with small push on clips. I can insert either my Nu-Temp or Weber thermometer thru the hole and I didn't need to drill any holes. The brackets seems plenty sturdy without the screw and no smoke leaks out even with no thermometer in place. I would hope that Weber takes some notice of the many ways that people modify their WSM's and put some of this free R&D to use. I love my WSM, but there is room for some improvements that would cost Weber nothing to implement. At least they could put a hole in it so that mounting something so basic as a thermometer does not have to be such an adventure. By the way I want to add my Kudos to Chris for great web site, it is the main reason that I bought my WSM and have recommended it to everyone I know who is interested in great BBQ.(the site and the WSM) Thanks again,
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back