Thermometer questions

Mike Waid

TVWBB Member
Ok i finlly got the guts to drill a hole (3/8) in the top of my WSM right below the handle and mounted a Old Smokey thermometer. When using the WSM this past weekend i wanted to check the new thermo against my Nu-temp wireless and to my suprise the Nu-temp was 30 degrees hotter. The NU-temp probe was put through the top vent as close to the other thermo as possiable. Any ideas why this would be?

BTW: i did check both in boiling water and they did check ok.

Thanks Mike

if both tested correctly using the boiling water test, and they were both side by side in the smoker, then I have no idea. One of them is off.

If, perhaps, one of the probes was really close to the side, or higher up or something like that, that could affect the temperatures. But if, like you say, they were as close together as possiblty, I just don't know. One of them has to be off. I'd try it again, then test them again. See which one is give you a misreading.

Adam thats what i am thinking too close to the side or something
icon_confused.gif
Ron yes i did wait for old smokey to come up. I did the BRITU this past weekend and i wanted to follow Chris's post as close as possible low & slow 3hr, then up to 275. So i had both thermos in the WSM and noticed the NU-temp ran hotter,but i followed the old smokey for my entire cook(BRITU)came out perfect. my wife was thinking the NU-temp being a probe was meant to be put in meat? I did buy a tele-tru 300 but did not want to drill a 3/4 hole in my WSM but i will put it through the vent next cook to compare.Bottom line which do i go by?

Thanks Guys, Mike

Mike,

Go with what works. It sounds like the Old Smokey worked fine for your smoke. With my Maverick the probe should work for air temp as well as food temp. Therefore, I don't think it would matter with the Nu-temp.

I have a BBQ Guru therm that goes in one of the three vent holes in the lid and I find it works well. When I stick the Mav temp in one of the other vent holes the temps match up fairly well (usually within 5 degrees of each other.)

Back