thermometer probe

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
I have a pyrex thermometer (if you want to see a picture) and was wondering how far do I stick the meat with the probe? Where exactly are the sensors on the probe located? Where does it actually read the temperature? Do I stick it in all the way, or half way, or does it even make a difference. Thanking you in advance for all the responses.

Erik

Erik,

If you look at this larger picture, you can see a line on the probe a little after the pointed tip. The temperature is measured between the tip and this line. HTH.

EDIT:

Here, I've enahnced the tip to better show the line..

Bill

Wow Bill, learn something new everyday. Thanks for your help and for enhancing the tip picture. I always thought it was the average temperature accumulated by the entire probe.

Erik

Most of these type thermometers use thermocouples (Maverick, Nu-Temp, etc.) and only measure the temperature where the tip is. Think about it.. If your probe measured the temperature the full length or even 3/4 of it, you would be measuring (averaging in) the temperature of the pit along with the temperature in the center of your meat.
icon_wink.gif
There are temperature probes that measure along much of the probe length ~ I believe them to be the "strain guage" type (?). The probe would be straight and usually have a dial type meter at the top.

Erik
G'Day
From the posts above you have discovered where the temperature is measured on the probe, in answer to the other part of the post It is recommended that you place the probe as close as possible to the middle as you can without touching any bone as the heat is gradually transferred from the outside inwards.
When demonstrating digital probes I lay the probe on the top of the meat to the halfway point and place my thumb on the shaft at this point. I then move the probe down the side to the middle point of the meat and then push the probe in at that point until my thumb meets the meat. This should be very close to centre. Then set and forget.

That Pyrex unit that you have seems to be a very good unit. Unfortunately we do not have them here, I personally use the Weber unit and have to replace the probe every 12 months hopefully the new Weber probes will be better.

Regards

Thanks for the response Bill and Phil. Bill, I only use the thermometer while cooking roasts (pork butt, tri tip, etc), and stick the entire probe in, therefore believing that the pit temperature would have no affect on the temperature displayed. Now that I know it's futile, I will be using Phil's advice.

Erik

Back