Thermometer mounting Idea

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
Hey all, Hope everyone had a great Fourth ofjuly with lots of great BBQ! I had an epiphony whilst smoking today because I always have problems keeping my thermometer probe in place. I have one of the thermo's with the metal cord and just a probe. Anyway, I originally had put it through a piece of cork and let it rest on the grill. Problem was, it would move, and contact the grate, affecting the accuracy of the temp. My solution was to trim a cork enough so that it fits snugly between 2 rods of the cooking grate, and then drill a hole horizontally through the cork that is above grate level. Now it doesnt move at all, and it is right at cooking level. Hope this helps some guys like me that are new to the site. If you have questions, please feel freee to ask. Ill try to post some pics if anyone needs them.

Smoke on!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hunter

Some other work arounds I have seen include putting it through a half potato, a piece of wood, or just bunching up some foil that you wedge in the grate and make it long so you can stick the probe on an angle away from the grate.

BBQ guru actually uses alligater clips that clip to the grate but keep the probe off the grate.

Back