Thermometer Installation

LDThornton

TVWBB Fan
Received my 3" F&C Smoker thermometer yesterday and installed it. I followed the instructions listed here using the lock-nut method but found that I had to use a second washer between the lid and the lock-nut. The reason being was because the lock-nut got tighter the farther down that I tightened it and was a long ways away from snugging up against the lid when it was tight. Something about the way the thermometer coupling threads were cut. I happen to have a 2 1/4" diameter washer with a 7/8" hole in my tool box that I installed between the lid and the lock-nut that worked out perfectly. If you do this mod be prepared to use a second washer possibly with a 2 1/4" diameter. As I said, it worked out perfectly for me and couldn't look any more professional. Don't over-tighten the nut though or you will deform the lid.

Big thermometers are awesome! They make the Q taste all the better
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Pipe threads are cut at an angle (for the pipe to seal), but I see how it could be a problem when you need to drop the nut all the way to the bottom of the threads. Sounds like the washer was just the ticket.

Kevin H.

Back