Thermapen, BIG!

Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Ouch Bill - what happened?

Ray
This did..
icon_rolleyes.gif

This was my inaugural burn on my RK almost 2 years ago..

I contacted Thermoworks and they advised me that even though the unit is designed to measure temperature up to 572ºF, the plastic handle isn't. Notice in the pics that the lid wasn't hot, just the air spewing from the top vent ~ That's the only place it melted. And, in looking at the EXIF data, this happened in 2 minutes at between 398 and 420º.

I should have known that plastic wouldn't hold up to that temperature but I figured it must be a composite of some sort to be able to withstand almost 600º. NOT! lol

In the end, they offered a discount on a replacement Thermapen or other product they offer so I opted for one of these at a pretty good price.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Originally posted by j biesinger:
Bill, Does that thing read surface temps? and with a probe?
Yeah and the probe works just like any other meat probe. You can see more about it here.

Bill

Nice piece of kit Bill. Tell me you got the optional nylon holster.

+/- 1* c seems pretty big, I'd think it would be more accurate, given the reputation.

Naw, no holster. 35 bucks was just too much. I would have much preferred a better accuracy but adjustable emissivity was a necessity and of the other 2 that have it, the one with better accuracy didn't have a high enough IR range for me. The extreme range and the dual laser pretty much sold me on this model.

Bill

still trying to figure out emissivity. sounds interesting, but what do use it for?

Man, that thermoworks site is nice. I think I'm going to be blowing my xmas cash on gear from there. The pen with plug in probes looks awesome.

Here's their definition of emissivity, in case you didn't see it. And here's a page with 2 charts of the different settings based on the surface you're reading. This unit uses the 8-14µm frequency on those charts.

Basically, it's a measure of a material’s ability to emit infrared energy. Surface texture, reflectivity and color all play a part.

I've used it to determine how well our house is insulated by pointing it at different places on the outside walls to see differences. I also use it on my CI pans and griddle. And, how hot the brick around the fireplace gets. lol It's a fun toy. Expensive though..

Yeah, they have a lot of neat stuff there. I'm looking for a hygrometer, in fact, but I can find one that transmits to a remote for less than their single unit so I'll likely go with that.

HTH,

Bill

I've used it to determine how well our house is insulated by pointing it at different places on the outside walls to see differences. I also use it on my CI pans and griddle. And, how hot the brick around the fireplace gets. lol It's a fun toy. Expensive though..

ok, I thought you had figured out some new technique using it on pork butts or something to achieve perfect bbq. or maybe you were using the thermal sensors and lasers to hunt mice in your basement without the lights on.

thermoworks is an incredible site. I can't make up my mind on what I should get. those usb data loggers (temp and moisture...hmmm...curing chamber?)look awesome and the pen with switchable probes makes my head spin with potential.

Back