Therm in top vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul McBride

TVWBB Member
Bob J asked this question in another thread ("Did I get a lemon?"), but since it was off-topic on that thread and posted at the very end of the discussion, it seems to have gone unnoticed. That said, it is a very good question that I would like to see answered...

Per one of Chris' suggestions about using a thermometer with the WSM, I have taken a Weber replacement thermometer and stuck it through an old wine cork, which I've then placed in one of my top vent holes. I leave things this way through my entire session.

Am I effectively commiting a big no-no here. Again and again I see posted advice to always leave the top vent fully open. But buy using this wine cork arangement, I am effectively cooking with the vents only 2/3 open. Should I find another way to mount my thermometer?

Thanks in advance...

Every cook has its variables-- weather, wind, amount of meat vs. the amount of fuel burning-- to name a few. In many cases, blocking one of the three top vent holes will ultimately not present a problem, but, in others, it can indeed be considered the culprit. I've used a cork to hold a thermometer before (without problem), but do not anymore only because I chose a different solution I preferred better.

Hey Paul, I have used a Weber Therm through the cork also for over a year now, and have never had a problem with temps going down or being unable to peg my cooker at 240-245 at the dome. But if you're going to close the top vents by two-thirds and the bottom vents open one-third and put ten pounds of meat on the smoker...you might have problems.

I've got a replacement weber therm sticking out of the top vent. I just took a paper clip and laid it across there to hold the dial out of the vent so that air can get through there. I'm still shocked at how long this thing has been able to hold temp in weather has highs only in the teens. I can't imagine what this WSM will be capable of doing in 60-70 degree weather. The therm position is not the most accurate but it's within the ballpark and so far the ribs have turned out pretty good with sand in the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back