The water pan....

Todd G

In the WSM I have been wrapping the outside of the pan and filling it with water. I have seen after the water was placed in the pan people will wrap across the top of the pan and basically seel it. Why should you wrap across the top of the pan?

I haven't heard of people putting foil over the water & sealing it in.

Most people on here don't use water at all, and I only foil the whole pan to keep it from getting gross with drippings.

As Mike said, I haven't heard of anyone foiling over the pan with water in it. Lately, I haven't been water in the pan at all for any of the meat I cook from chicken to Brisket.

Yeah, thats weird. I use lava rocks in my water pan. They work well as a heat sink just as well as water, sand or clay saucer.

Here is a shortcut for the old 18.5 model: Home Depot --> 14" clay saucer --> Put saucer in Bullet water pan --> Cover saucer with at least one layer of heavy duty tin foil, wrapping the edges around sides of the water pan --> Replace foil when it leaks. Has worked for me for several years and probably a hundred cooks. Less mess and trouble than water, sand, or any other method. I've tried them all. Just adapt to your model.

Heat sink and a catcher...But its only use full on the way up. Once hot its almost useless. I use mine for drippings only...Witch a foil top only will do just as good.

Back