The turkey was beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
This was my first turkey on the WSM so I was taking it slowly. My reasoning was that I could get more creative later. I was very pleased.

I picked up a 12# fresh, natural, turkey at albertsons. I had been looking for duck, but "fortuna non". Anyway...

I used the basic brine for about 8 hours or so and then let the skin dry overnight in the refrigerator. I did not add any rub. Just the brine. I'm glad that I didn't which I'll get to later.

Two weber chimneys of charcoal and three hunks of apple, and I was on the road. I waited until all the charcoal was ashed over. Dropped the bird on the top grate and watched the temps. It started at 360* and over the course of three hours gradually drifted down to about 320*. All vents were wide open except for the one with the guru adapter which was functionally 1/3 open (I did not use the guru).

I pulled the bird when the temp measured 165 in the breast and 175 in the thigh and let it rest for about 45 minutes covered with foil.

Oh, my It was tasty. The breast meat had a good tooth and very juicy. It also had a very light pink color near the skin which I attribute to the brine. I don't think the smoke really penetrated the skin that much.

Lesson one to apply next time: It was slightly on the salty side. I'll rinse the next one more thoroughly. All my rubs so far contain salt so adding my normal rubs would not have been a good idea.

Lesson two for next time: The skin could have been a little bit crisper. Not much, but slightly. It is probably worth the effort to crank up the heat to 375+ for the last 30-45 minutes to finish it off.

Those are small things. I'm very pleased with the results.

Chet, sounds really good. Just one question for you. Was just the skin salty or the meat. If the meat was salty maybe cut back a little on the brine time. Just curious for when i brine one.What wood did you use. I want to do the Apple Brined Turkey Recipe. Bryan

I used apple for smoke. The skin was quite salty, but even the meat was a little saltier than I care for. I only gave it a quick rinse under cool water before allowing it to dry out in the refrig. I think that it needed a more thorough rinse. I suspect that letting it dry overnight kind of pulled some of the extra saltiness into the meat.

It was good, just slightly saltier than I would have preferred.

Chet, I'm reading your post and saliva is literally pooling in the back of my mouth. Sounds fantastic, I can't wait to do a turkey. Did you take any pics?

Chet, Greg wanted mesquite for the bird
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Sorry, no pics this time. I was very hungry. It looked as you might imagine since I added no rub and the brine was just sugar, salt, and water. It had a lovely golden brown color similar to what I get when I roast a bird in my oven.

Oh, and sorry but QBQ idea will have to wait. My current project schedule is pretty packed. A quick glance at the IETF RFCs show that no-one else seems to be working on it either.

Even "Smell-o-vision" would be a good first step.
icon_smile.gif

I've done a number of bonless turkey breasts(12 Lbers) and yes Bryan, I did use mesquite! Going to the store today to diversifie my wood portfolio!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Cook time totaled about 4.5 hours not including prep. 45 minutes or so to get the charcoal going about and 3.25 hrs smoking the bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back