The Store is flying, my new family member just arrived also

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just received mine. HOwever, I am moving into my new house and have not unpacked it yet. Also received the chimmney and instant meater and the probes (double). Now, here is the big question. What would you all recommend I try for the first smoking session. I want something that I can start in the morning, and maby around cocktail time, it would be ready. I know with a new cooker (from what I have read) it cooks hot so I am sure I will have to monitor it more. But with my remote probes (one being on a big ole potatoe) it should not be too hard. I still have to buy gloves, charcol, Hickory chips (or blocks?) (the rib rack wont be here for a few days) and whatever else I (now getting ready to start reading) pick up as tips in that receipe section. But, it comes down to what is the best first experience meal?

For my first smoke on my new WSM, I'm planning to go with some babybacks. They'll take 4-5hrs, or so. I have them all trimmed and rubbed up with BRITU. All set to go on in the morning. I also have a chunk of pork loin that I'll be placing on the lower rack, with an internal probe. Don't want to over cook it. I have some hickory and apple chunks that I'll be using.

Hey Robert,
The BRITU recipe you can't go wrong on the ribs, but I found it (along with some others) too salty. You might try cutting back on the salt...but ribs are probably best product in the time period you are cooking. Don't take the ribs off until the internal meat temp between the rib bones is 180 F.

Also do the flip and turn methods (about half way through cook, flip them 180 degrees, then about 75% of way through flip them again about 90 degrees...

I also like to crisp them up on the grill for about 3-5 minutes afterwards.

regards,
PrestonD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back