The Secrets of Nespresso Pods

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
I found this guy quite exceptional. Really does a deep dive and thorough explanation. One of the take-a-ways is that dark coffee seems to be more forgiving than lighter roasts. I am guessing he has lots of coffee related content.

the secret is, many pods to choose from and you can get some exceptional shots from some great brands, like Illy and Lavazza.

Nespresso branded pods are very good. Other brands are even better with some of their beans used and roast depth.

I admit to being at least a partial coffee nerd and I've watched a few hours of his YouTube content. He's extremely knowledgeable and he breaks things down into very understandable terms.
I've only followed his YouTube videos related to drip coffee and grinders/

I have the Nespresso and I really like it. My favorite full cups are:

Stormio
Mexico
Columbia
Kahawa Ya Congo

My favorite 1/2 cup is Costa Rica

Kahawa Ya Congo is my # 1 favorite

I run the clean cycle with just water every other day (push the button four or five times without a pod in the unit) and once or week or so I run the clean cycle with vinegar in the water

Makes dang good coffee (imho)

I have the Nespresso and I really like it. My favorite full cups are:

Stormio
Mexico
Columbia
Kahawa Ya Congo

My favorite 1/2 cup is Costa Rica

Kahawa Ya Congo is my # 1 favorite

I run the clean cycle with just water every other day (push the button four or five times without a pod in the unit) and once or week or so I run the clean cycle with vinegar in the water

Makes dang good coffee (imho)
original line or vertuo line?

i've been making original line pods for 7 years now. love my machine. i can make my morning shots and milk in 4 minutes total and with zero cleanup sans running how water through the machine when done for 2 seconds.

original line or vertuo line?

i've been making original line pods for 7 years now. love my machine. i can make my morning shots and milk in 4 minutes total and with zero cleanup sans running how water through the machine when done for 2 seconds.
The original line, I'm not aware of the Vertuo line, but will look into it

The original line, I'm not aware of the Vertuo line, but will look into it
Vertuo makes nice shots and coffee drinks. no aftermarket pods though due to patent. i do love my original line. check out Illy and Lavazza pods on Amazon. I can usually find a 100 pack for $38-$54 depending on intensity and sale.

Last edited:
I will probably never have a "pod" machine as they never made financial sense to me, but I have had friends with these and was amazed at the coffee. Some had the milk pods and could make cappuccinos. I just watched about a half dozen of this guy's videos and find them quite good even though he definitely prefers light coffee and we like dark.

I will probably never have a "pod" machine as they never made financial sense to me, but I have had friends with these and was amazed at the coffee. Some had the milk pods and could make cappuccinos. I just watched about a half dozen of this guy's videos and find them quite good even though he definitely prefers light coffee and we like dark.
We were the same way until we tried shots at William Sonoma. The flavor was equally as good, if not better than traditional machine shots. The crema was perfect.

I make and drink a triple shot latte almost every day. For less than $2 a drink I’m saving hundreds of dollars a year versus buying retail drinks like SBUX or others.

And I get my milk as hot as I want.

I’m confident you can find a Nespresso store in Vancouver for a demo and sample.

Last edited:
I bought the Costco Ninja coffee machine that does coffee, pods and reusable pods.
It even has the steamer wand thingy too, and is supposed to make ice coffee too but I haven’t tried that yet.

Yup! I’m a ghetto coffee guy.
This actually works great for me and I’m not ashamed to admit it.
I also get several free large boxes of Starbucks beans every year from one of our guests.
I keep a few filled reusable pods ready to go in a plastic vacuum container and really enjoy having a good cup of coffee when I’m too busy to make a pot.

It cost about $100 and was well worth it even if it means having that stupid Ninja name on my countertop :poop:.

Vertuo makes nice shots and coffee drinks. no aftermarket pods though due to patent. i do love my original line. check out Illy and Lavazza pods on Amazon. I can usually find a 100 pack for $38-$54 depending on intensity and sale.

I guess we have the Nespresso that won't take these pods. Bummer, a couple of those sound great

We use a Mr. Coffee and after watching "Why Cheap Coffee Makers Suck (And How To Fix Them)" by John Hoffman (Link at end) I decided to try a couple of things today. I put a paper filter under a permanent mesh filter (that I don't use as I use mostly espresso grind and they wind up in my coffee). I also steeped my grinds for a minute by shutting off the machine once they were covered by water. The coffee came out great. A definite upgrade in taste and no bitterness. My Mr. Coffee definitely does NOT put out cold water in the beginning as he suggested as I tested with my finger and it was really hot.
1707923607042.png1707923635104.png

Funny - I just hit up the links and saw this review on Amazon. Just like in the video the filter in the pod makes a big difference.
1707924167247.png

Back