The point of brisket

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
There have been many discussions and ideas related to what to do with the brisket point after a cook. Some like to make burnt ends and/or to chop or pull it, others (like me) favor it for chili. Last night I wanted to do something different and quick so I decided to do something with it for pasta. I had the idea to combine it with a simple deconstructed barbecue sauce--in other words I would use the main ingredients of a Q sauce--onion, tomato, peppers, chile, vinegar and spices--and make the sauce from them and the brisket. It worked very well and will definitely be a regular thing I do with brisket point. I used wide pappardelle for the pasta.

In keeping with the spirit of quick cooking with leftovers I used canned tomatoes with chilies and jarred roasted red peppers. The roasted reds added all the sweetness the sauce required, negating the need for any sugar. The sauce came together very quickly. One option for the future: using reconstituted dried chilies cut in strips.

I served the pasta with multi-grain toast points topped with mashed avocado mixed with lime and sun-dried tomato pesto.

A pic of the pasta is here.

The recipe is here.

Kevin, that sounds fantastic. I really like the idea of transforming Q leftovers, because my wife has always disliked eating the previous day's food, merely warmed up.

I was wondering what you think of doing this with homemade pasta, even though it wouldn't be consistent with your quick, easy theme. If one were doing homemade pasta, would you do just plain pasta, or flavored in some way?

Last week I enjoyed leftover pasta and brisket. The pasta had just a little olive oil and butter. I cut up the left over brisket and nuked it all together. Fresh parmesian or romano is all that was needed. Brisket and pasta is a natural. Take it as far as you wish.

My wife normally uses the leftover beef and chicken on fresh salads. I never get tired of that.

Leftover chicken often goes on top of pizza.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
I was wondering what you think of doing this with homemade pasta, even though it wouldn't be consistent with your quick, easy theme. If one were doing homemade pasta, would you do just plain pasta, or flavored in some way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I almost made the pappardelle. Though not quick as you note it's certainly easy, no? Had I not come across the dried from TJ's I would have. Plain would be good but I'm thinking I would have used chilies in the pasta. Corn meal for a portion of the flour would be good too I think.

Had I made fresh I would have probably chopped the meat finer or juilienned it and made everything else just a bit finer as well, so as not to be too weighty on the more delicate fresh pasta.

Back