2 TB. brown sugar
1 TB. whole cumin seeds
2 TB. chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp. dried
1 TB. grated lime zest
2 TB. minced garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 TB. olive oil

1 bone-in or boneless Boston butt, 5 to 7 lbs.
Citrus Sauce (recipe below)

1. Make marinade: Combine all ingredients except the meat and Citrus Sauce in a bowl. Set aside 1/3 cup marinade; cover and refrigerate.
2. Marinate pork in refrigerator overnight or up to 2 days.
3. When ready to grill, remove pork from marinade, shake off excess and discard the marinade.
4. Set up a charcoal grill with an equal amount of coals banked on opposite sides and a pan in the center to catch the juice. It takes time to cook the pork, so have extra coals available to replenish the fire.
5. Place the roast over the drip pan. Cover the grill and adjust the vents to maintain a temperature within the grill of between 300F and 325F. Add more charcoal as needed. Check the roast after 2 hours. When the meat is fork tender, transfer the pork to a cutting board and cover with foil. Let rest at least 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes. Carve the roast into 1/4" thick slices and serve with a little of the warm Citrus Sauce. Makes 8 servings.

CITRUS SAUCE
1/3 cup reserved Cuban Marinade
3/5 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed LIME juice or to taste
1 tsp. sugar or to taste
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 TB. water
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)

Pour all ingredients into a saucepan except cornstarch and cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 5 minutes. Taste sauce, add lime juice and sugar if needed. Stir in cornstarch mixture; bring to a boil for 30 seconds. Stir in cilantro, if using. Makes about 1 cup.

Source: "Complete Book of Pork" - Bruce Aidell

1613357632798.png

Sunday nights dinner-

The pork was very good. The cauliflower tots were a last minute substitute for the squash that went bad. The fruit salad was our attempt to try to eat healthier. DH came home yesterday with 9 different types of fruit. :eek:

In case you are wondering what that is in the white bowl. DH cooked another pork butt in the slow cooker in some of the marinade for another nights dinner. I guess he was testing it.

sorry to repost, makes life easier for me to have it on this page. lol

Below is a very nice list of ingredients to choose from for the next cook for "The Grilling Game". (at least DH and myself are having fun playing, sorry if you don't like the game. lol It helps us decide what to have for dinner.)

TRIPLE SEC
GRAND MARNIER
ORANGE JUICE
BROWN SUGAR
CUMIN
OREGANO
GARLIC
SOY SAUCE
OLIVE OIL
CILANTRO

Do not feel dejected. I enjoy reading your creations... I have not been too ambitious lately to be creative. By the end of the day I am glad just to toss something on the grill with some seasonings. Perhaps it is the winter months as do not spend much tome outside more than necessary.

Joan, the Boss usually makes the menus here and I just make what she lists on the whiteboard. On top of that I never remember to look at your post for ingredients that day. Sorry! 🙁

Do not feel dejected. I enjoy reading your creations... I have not been too ambitious lately to be creative. By the end of the day I am glad just to toss something on the grill with some seasonings. Perhaps it is the winter months as do not spend much tome outside more than necessary.
Hi Frank, I thought there would be more members here that lived where there were conditions that were more suitable for grilling year round.

OK, for this weekend, it does not have to be a grilling recipe. If you make anything using any of the ingredients listed below, they count.

TRIPLE SEC
GRAND MARNIER
ORANGE JUICE
BROWN SUGAR
CUMIN
OREGANO
GARLIC
SOY SAUCE
OLIVE OIL
CILANTRO

So, I am getting ready to do corned beef here in a couple of weeks. I have only made it a handful of time before and always look online for recipes, cooking times, etc. One that caught my eye when searching was one particular posting that mentioned adding 2 tablespoon of brown sugar to the water along with the spice mix when boiling the meat. It also mentioned adding 2 bay leafs along with potatoes, carrots and even celery.

I usually steam the cabbage separately... I do not like the "greasiness" when it cooks in the broth.

This morning, DH picked this recipe out of the beef binder to make for dinner tonight.It is cooking now on the grill. Luckily it has 3 ingredients in it to qualify it for the Grilling Game. lol

BROWN SUGAR
SOY SAUCE
OLIVE OIL

River City Rub's Brisket

1/2 cup SOY SAUCE
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
7 to 8 lb. brisket flat
1 cup of River City Brisket Rub (recipe below)
OLIVE OIL

1. In a small bowl, mix the SOY SAUCE and Worcestershire sauce together and spread evenly over the flat. Then lay down an even coat of OLIVE OIL and sprinkle rub over the meat, coating both sides.
2. Get smoker to an internal temperature of 225F. Place meat on smoker and add wood immediately. (Be careful not to use too much wood when cooking a brisket. It doesn't requite a lot of wood to get a good smoked flavor. Two or three chunks of your favorite wood will be more than enough.) Cook meat for about 1 1/2 hours per pound.
3. After about 7 hours, or when meat reaches about 160F, wrap in foil. Cook for the remaining allotted time until the internal temperature reaches 195F.
4. Slice brisket in 1/4" pieces across the grain and serve with or without barbecue sauce. Serves 10 to 12

River City Brisket Rub
1/2 cup paprika
2 TB. BROWN SUGAR
2 TB. chili powder
2 TB. onion powder
2 TB. kosher salt
2 TB. black pepper
1 TB. dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp. red pepper
Makes about 3/4 cup rub

Source: "Big Daddy's Zubba Bubba BBQ" - Rick Marx

All I will say is that it was 'DELICIOUS"

Last edited:
Wow...somebody besides me has that book!

I can't remember if I've ever cooked anything out of it, though.
Hi Brad, I also have his "Big Daddy's Zubba Bubba Holiday BBQ" with a DVD. I haven't watched it yet but it says it has him making a Triple-Stuffed Turducken. That should be interesting. lol

Last edited:
One or more of these ingredients have to be used in the next recipe to be made.

PAPRIKA
CHILI POWDER
ONION POWDER
DRY MUSTARD
GROUND RED PEPPER
WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

It is that time of year to start doing more grilling and to revitalize the GRILLING GAME.

Just use one or more of the ingredients listed above in your recipe and post that recipe here and in the appropriate Recipe thread.

Last edited:
bumping for all the new members that have joined lately. Hope you like to grill and post recipes. This is the place. ;)

Back