The Great Goat experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian L.

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, I am finally getting around to reporting about my goat cooking experience weekend before last.

Ok, I bought 2 different cuts of goat meat at the farmers market in Nashville. I bought a shoulder and a leg, both weighing aproxamately 6 lbs. The cuts were imported from Australia and weren't cheap, almost 3 bucks a pound. I need to find a cheaper source if I keep cooking this.

The shoulder was marinated overnight in a mixture of white wine, butter, garlic, and some other spices. The leg I rubbed down the night before in a jerk paste made of onions, habenaros, soy sauce,lots of garlic and some other spices. I got both recipes out of Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ book. I also made some pork loin fajitas for backup.

I smoke the goat at about 240 for 5 hours with Pecan and Oak chunks, about 3 fist sized chunks of Pecan and about 4 small peices of Oak, with Kingsford charcol. Next time I need to use either more wood or a stronger one because there wasn't enough smoke flavor for my preference. I mopped the shoulder with boiled marinade and sprayed the jerked leg with a mix of beer and lemon juice. 5 hours wasn't quite long enough so I had to finish in a 350 degree oven for about 45 mins (To get the meat over 160). Next time I will count on 7 hours.

Well, the shoulder ended up kinda dry, but the leg was very moist. The meat of the shoulder wasn't what I would call tender, but it wasn't tough either. The leg was about half what I wouldn't call tough either, and half melt in your mouth tender. The key is to slice kind thin against the grain, like you would a brisket.

The flavor of the marinated one was pretty good, but the jerked leg was outstanding, and I even forgot to put out the jerk sauce. I had more people than I expected, about 40 guests in all. All but one had the guts to taste the goat, and anyone who tasted the goat loved it! Within an hour all the goat and the fajitas I made were GONE! Just goat bones laying in the pan!

One of our friends brought a couple muslim guys from the Middle east over, I didn't catch what country. They raved about the goat too, and those guys have been eating goat all their lives. They peppered me with all sorts of questions about the seasonings, the cooking methods, and shared some of their own methods. Made me happy that people who know their goat, so to speak, liked my first try!

All in all it was a very succsessful experiement, I will be doing this again. I think from now on I will stick with the leg though, unless I can gain access to a whole kid. Questions? Fire away!

Goat aye??? Better man than me!
icon_wink.gif

Ahhhhhh... cabrito!!! I may have to talk to you about this. Cabrito (barbecued goat) is very popular with the Mexican population around here, and we know several people who raise goats. Goat-raising supplies two kinds of income around here - selling the small ones for cooking, but also hiring out a herd to clear brush. Several folks around here will, for a small fee, move a large herd of goats to your property and just leave them there to graze. Before you know it, it looks like professional groundskeepers have been at work. And ecologically sound, too!

Thanks for posting your goat experiences.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I'm fortunate enough not to have to pay for goat. Try looking in the phone book for a halal butcher or hit a restaurant that sells halal meats and ask where they get theirs. You should find better prices.

Ok folks, here comes the dumbest reply of the day. Aaahhmmmmm. Here it goes. Are Deer and Goats meat close to being the same????
I dont know, I never have had goat, just been told that a time or 2.
I love deer when cooked properly though!
DP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... a halal butcher... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please forgive my ignorance - what's a halal butcher or halal meats?

To be qualified as “halal”, the meat must come from an animal that is not “haram” -- or forbidden -- for example, pig. It must also come from an animal slaughtered by a Muslim, who cuts the throat of the animal so that it bleeds to death, faced towards Mecca. The slaughterer must also offer the prayer “Bismilla Rahim wa Allah Akbar” (In the name of Allah, Allah is great).

I eat at lots of halal-oriented restaurants around the country and I've found that often they are in little strip shopping centers with a halal butcher in the same strip (often owned by the restaurant owner) or just around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back