The Genesis 1000 Redhead

John G (Boston)

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone, New here...

So here’s a little info on the 1000 redhead I mentioned in my intro… The poor grill was clearly dumped off the back of a truck next to the dumpster. I dismantled the grill to get it home in my Prius. I managed to find the two missing knobs right there on the ground (they must have flown off when the control panel popped out of the frame). I also found the drop-in table. The grease cup holder had popped off of the grease tray and was dangling off of the tank gauge. And, the enameled grease tin cup was sitting right there on the ground. A short distance away I found the manifold bracket. I drove home with a BIG smile (and a car stinking of burnt BBQ grease).

Some good things about the grill are:
-The big slide out grease pan is near perfect.
-The swing up table hinge mount and slider are good.
-Most of the Z bars for the wood slats are good.
-The frame is nearly rust free.
-The grease tray Z bars and screws are in great shape (screw threads are even shiny clean).

Now the not so good…
-The frame is bent a bit (looks a little like an iceland spar - like a three dimensional parallelogram).
-The cookbox crossmember bent to the right a bit because the cookbox shifted that way.
-The cookbox bowed a little at the mounting bolt because it pulled on the crossmember.

I assume most here would consider this to be a parts grill but, being full of enthusiasm (and possibly a little nuts), I started tinkering. Since the frame has not rusted I think it will respond well to straightening.

The inside of the cookbox, grease tray, and hood were horrendous. I can’t believe the amount of burnt grease buildup – if that thing had ever lit up with a grease fire it would have burned for six days. Several hours later I had it scraped out fairly well and I had the grease pan cleaned up nicely.

Next I used Simple Green, a wire brush, a chisel, (and in places a razor blade) to clean the inside of the cookbox. I used a wire wheel cup where I could fit it. I managed to get the box to look pretty good inside, though I’m not done yet – there’s more to clean in there.

I dismantled the lid and, several hours later, had the inner surfaces of the endcaps and the enamel hood looking pretty nice. I used Simple Green, razor blades, and 0000 steel wool on the enamel (thanks to this great forum for that idea). I used Simple Green, razor blades, and a wire brush on the end caps. So far I have left the badge on the hood and cleaned around it (I may remove it later). I did not know the inside of the red hood is actually black enamel.

Hope this post wasn’t too long :) Thank You for reading… More to come :)

-John (Boston)

John, welcome to the forum.
Post up some photos when you get a chance. I will be very interested in how you get the frame straightened out. I probably would have parted it out like you mentioned.

I have had success straightening things using one of these pipe clamps going from corner to opposite corner. Not sure if this is an application for it but I am always up for trying.

86DD5B47-4BEA-4184-98D4-52BB51E0C350.jpeg

I have a couple of those clamps but the frame is all apart right now. I was actually thinking about using a ratchet strap (I have big ones like they use on trucks). But, I need to determine if it's better to straighten the frame as an assembly or work on each piece separately. I haven't played with any of the frame parts yet but I do know the cookbox crossmember is going to need the press. The rest of the frame might come back with a strap or one of those clamps.

Right now I'm playing with the cookbox. It has been bowed on the left side (because it yanked on the mounting bolt). After careful cleaning I see a hairline crack running up the side from the bolt hole. This may mean the aluminum is brittle so reworking it might be a bad idea. I have it set up in the press and I gave it a couple nudges but so far it has sprung back to bowed. I'm worried it may shatter if I press too far. I need to get it flat enough so the hood closes properly. As I found it, the lip on the left side of the hood hits the edge of the cookbox instead of fitting over it.

The hood assy seems to be fine, best I can tell. I did find some chipping of the enamel under the endcaps but it's not visible when together. I'll oil the chipped spots when I put it back together. The enamel (red outside, black inside) looks great - no fading. I put a lot of time into cleaning the inside of the hood and endcaps.

I'll try to post some pictures. Not sure if I'm allowed to yet...

-John (Boston)

It sounds like that cookbox is toast. The good news is that you have a nice lid which can be tough to find. It may be easier to score another Genesis 1000 and combine the best of both to end up with one nice grill.

Hello Everyone,

Finally got around to getting this photo off my phone and posting it. This was the redhead "as found" next to the dumpster. I've been too busy working on other stuff lately but will resume work on this grill soon. The cookbox is still blocked up in the press and, after a few weeks to think about it, I guess I'll try to push on it a little more. My feeling says it's going to shatter. To me it seems harder or more brittle than other aluminum castings I've played with. Well, anyway... Here she was "before"...

-John (Boston)

Attachments

• as found.jpg
    as found.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 23
After twenty years of heating and cooling, those aluminum cookboxes do get pretty brittle. I'll be amazed if you are able to bend it back into shape without it shattering.

Back