The elusive packer brisket

Todd D.

TVWBB Super Fan
Trying to find some place in the Indianapolis area that carries packer briskets. Have been to two Sam's and two Costcos, and both carry flats for about $2.58/lb. Found a butcher in Tipton that says a packer will be $2.79/lb. Shouldn't packers be less $/lb? Any other suggestions on a place I might find a packer? Planning a BOB cook for Friday/Saturday, so still have a couple days to find one yet.
Thanks for any advice!

Todd--

Yes, packers usually cost less/lb (around here anyway) but your butcher is likely to either be paying more than the big guys or needing a higher margin to operate.

Personally, I'd buy from him--at least this once. You can check out his other products while you're there. If he's got good stuff paying a small premium for a good butcher would be worth it to me. For some things I get from my butcher I pay more--like ribs--but his meat is very consistent and he's the only place near me to get packers. His rib-eyes are cheaper and better than I can get at the supermarkets.

Strange that your Costco doesn't have them. Did you ask the guys in the meat department (the ones behind the glass who cut up the meat)? I know if I want something that's not in the case, I can often ask them and they've got it in the back. With briskets, most people don't want the cryovac, untrimmed types, so they re-cut them into just the flats, trim them up, and put them in the case. But if you ask, I'll bet they'll bring one (or more) out for you.

I asked at the one Costco, but not the other. Guess I'll try there again tomorrow. The guy I talked to at Sam's suggested I just put two flats together. Scary thing is I think he was serious!

Todd you have meat wholesalers in town, get to know them, they are your friend. Try these folks, if nothing else they will point you the right direction. More than likely will be buying by the case. You can request by grade.

Dugdale Beef Company Inc
(317) 291-9660 4224 W 71st St
Indianapolis, IN 46268

Premium Aquatics
(317) 895-9005 5454 Barker LN
Indianapolis, IN 46236

Indiana Beef Cattle Association Inc
(317) 872-2333 8770 Guion Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46268

Archer's Old Fashioned Meat Market
(317) 849-1790 8655 E 116th St
Fishers, IN 46038

... GOATS COMPLETE LINE OF POULTRY SPECIALIZING IN ROASTING PIGS HALAL BEEF, LAMB, GOAT WE RENT BBQ ROASTERS DEER PROCESSING & CHECK ...

Beef and pork keeps very well in the cryovac and it will give you a chance to wet age briskets.

Jim

Of course, Jim Minion has the definitive say here: get to know your meat wholesalers and processors.

I finally found that my Sam's Club started carrying whole briskets (called packers here) as well as the flats. For $1.38/lbs I couldn't pass it up. This is because I continued to say (re: complain) that a brisket isn't 4.75 lbs. The whole brisket is bigger than that and you can sell me the fat at the same price as the meat. I saw 5 whole briskets in the case this week ... a very new thing for us.

I did find a butcher in my area that had certified Angus beef, choice or better, for $5/lbs, but I had to opt for the lesser priced meat. Maybe I chose wrong and maybe a should try a simul-smoke to see which comes out better. But I can't do so at present.

Todd,

This is Tony from Indy. I just called the Washington St. Sams Club and they have Whole Packers. I asked if they were fresh or enhanced and he sounded a little miffed and said "Fresh of course". Their number is 317-897-2582.

I called the 96th street store and spoke with the guy in the meat department and I had to literally tell him what a whole beef brisket was! I asked him to check the weights on what he had in the case and he came back and said they were 4-6 pounds. I told him those were flats and he said "ok, I'll give you that" - incredible! Where do they find these people?

Anyway, give the Washington Street store a call.

Tony

Todd
The case CABs I just pickup was 6 briskets, total weight 79 pounds, price was $1.59 a pound, putting the price at $125.
Select's are going here at 1.39 to $1.49 a pound right so 10 to 20 cents more a pound for choice works fine for me.

In the cyropac you can freeze these bad boys and they will keep for a year with no problems. Never last that long, I have two that I will use this weekend in a competition and two more I'm getting to Dale Groetsema for the same competition. The last two will stay in frige for a competition in July wet aging.
Jim

Jim -

wow... you can keep the beef in the cryo in a fridge that long? (until July) How do you know when you've reached the limit? Very cool.

Second, any suggestions for folks like me and the original poster who can't, for the life of em, find anyone to sell a whole packer? Your list of wholesale distributors inspired me, so I tried looking for ones within 40 miles of my house in Stamford CT (SW corner, near NY border) and found nothing. I called every meat market around and the most promising one said he'd only get briskets in that are around 4-4.5 pounds at the largets. Ugh. Literally, the only place I found where I could buy a whole brisket was a Glatt Kosher butcher, and it was $8.99 a pound. I like brisket, but not for $100 a pop.

Suggestions? Or should I just try the trimmed 3 lb flats I get at Costco.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:

Archer's Old Fashioned Meat Market
(317) 849-1790 8655 E 116th St
Fishers, IN 46038 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, these guys are on my way home from work. I think I will drop by today and say howdy!

Todd, if you dont go to these guys, I will let you know what they have.

Tony

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. Finally made my choice and ordered with C & S Meat Market in Tipton, IN. Packer brisket for $1.89/pound, and 2 bone-in butts at $1.59/pound. Sam's wanted $3.23/pound for packer brisket. The one Sam's I visited had flats for $2.58/pound, so I asked if they were sure that was the correct price for an untrimmed brisket and the answer was "yes".
icon_eek.gif

At any rate, I'm finally ready for Smoke Day 2005
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Adam,
Have you tried BJ's in Norwalk? The BJ's in MA have 5 to 7lb. flats w/a decent fatcap for around $3.00 lb. I too am in search of a good source for packers. I think all the Irish up here in NE are using all the packers for their pastrami sandwiches
icon_frown.gif

Back