The Burn In!

Dave_C

TVWBB Fan
So, I put a pic of this grill in a post a few weeks back. After posting some questions that you guys answered about cleaning the inside of the lid and the knobs and tables I was feeling pretty good. Then I read that one thread about "don't paint the inside of your firebox". That's when I realized I had made a mistake!! I had painted the inside of my end caps and the fire box!:( I was a bit angry at first but then I just got busy and took it all a part and stripped back down to all natural!!
Now I'm pretty proud of how it turned out.

Here's my question
Is a couple of hours at 350 good enough to burn off any cleaning residues? After the initial burn in do you guys put anything on the stainless grates and exposed aluminum of the end caps and the fire box? before doing another burn in to season the surfaces?
Grill (1).jpgSilverA.jpg SilverA1.jpg

The cookbox and lid and inside end caps will season themselves quick enough. Don't mess with them. You can clean down and then oil your SS grates, but I never do. But then again, mine are solid Rod and yours look like the stamped SS.

I would just clean the grates and then oil them with some vegetable oil.

By the way, that grill should be getting much hotter than 350 degrees.

The cookbox and lid and inside end caps will season themselves quick enough. Don't mess with them. You can clean down and then oil your SS grates, but I never do. But then again, mine are solid Rod and yours look like the stamped SS.

I would just clean the grates and then oil them with some vegetable oil.

By the way, that grill should be getting much hotter than 350 degrees.
It does, I just put the burners on low and would open the lid from time to time. I just kind of used 350. Do you think 2 hours is long enough?

Yes, plenty long for a burn in. I usually go full blast from 20 - 30 minutes though. But your method is fine too.

Back